which sailfin

Andrewk5018

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to get a desjardini from live aquaria but they have 3 location variants. sri lanka, red sea, and indo. do they look different? i saw some older posts on here saying what i took as the desjardini not even coming out of i believe it was indo? which does everyone recommend? i assume red sea due to alleged collection practices? they have a small one from indo on sale for $53 down from $90 right now

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to get a desjardini from live aquaria but they have 3 location variants. sri lanka, red sea, and indo. do they look different? i saw some older posts on here saying what i took as the desjardini not even coming out of i believe it was indo? which does everyone recommend? i assume red sea due to alleged collection practices? they have a small one from indo on sale for $53 down from $90 right now
To me, when i think desjardinii, I think Red Sea. A common name for it is literally the Red Sea Sailfin. It's a Very iconic fish known from that region. But there (theoretically) should be no or very limited variants between the locations

OP
OP
A

Andrewk5018

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, when i think desjardinii, I think Red Sea. A common name for it is literally the Red Sea Sailfin. It's a Very iconic fish known from that region. But there (theoretically) should be no or very limited variants between the locations
good to know thats what im leaning toward

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Indo region of “Desjardini” is a different species - That is the Zebrasoma velifer. As for the Sri Lanka and Red Sea, these are the same fish. I’ve never seen a difference in appearance - Desjardini is known as the Indian Sailfin Tang and Red Sea Sailfin Tang.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Indo region of “Desjardini” is a different species - That is the Zebrasoma velifer. As for the Sri Lanka and Red Sea, these are the same fish. I’ve never seen a difference in appearance - Desjardini is known as the Indian Sailfin Tang and Red Sea Sailfin Tang.
I agree. There is no Indo Dsejardini. It is easy to tell the two species apart if you know what to look for.

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Desjardini I had about 15 years ago.
SailfinTang2009000001.jpg
SailfinTang2009000002.jpg
SailfinTang2009000004.jpg

OP
OP
A

Andrewk5018

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So why would they even list the indo as an option under the desjardini when they have a seperate listing for normal sailfins?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Red sea has a millions of dots on face and More blue and yellow on body. Mine is red sea and no regrets

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Desjardini looks alot different than @OrionN 's, more/ smaller freckles on face and zero yellow on tail(its blue)... is this normal variation, juvenile/ adult coloration, or different fish?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Desjardini looks alot different than @OrionN 's, more/ smaller freckles on face and zero yellow on tail(its blue)... is this normal variation, juvenile/ adult coloration, or different fish?
You need to post a picture.
Mine is a young one. More lines and more spots will develops as he gets older.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A clear tail generally implies a Zebrasoma velifer but confirmation is best with a photo.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very nice tangs indeed but get too big for most home tank. I am hesitant to keep them with my 360 gal from my past experience with them outgrown my tank. I used to have a 400 gal tank. Same reason for me not keeping Clown tang or Sohal tang. These three species get really big along with the Naso genus.
Here are pictures of Desjardini for comparison:

adult Desjardini sailfin (picture from the WWW)
PECES-MAS-VENENOSOS-3.jpg

juvenile Desjardini sailfin
sailfintang2009000004-jpg.3538815

Last edited:

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to post a picture.
Mine is a young one. More lines and more spots will develops as he gets older.
A clear tail generally implies a Zebrasoma velifer but confirmation is best with a photo.
They are very nice tangs indeed but get too big for most home tank. I am hesitant to keep them with my 360 gal from my past experience with them outgrown my tank. I used to have a 400 gal tank. Same reason for me not keeping Clown tang or Sohal tang. These three species get really big along with the Naso genus.
Here are pictures of Desjardini for comparison:

adult Desjardini sailfin (picture from the WWW)
PECES-MAS-VENENOSOS-3.jpg

juvenile Desjardini sailfin
sailfintang2009000004-jpg.3538815
Thanks guys, the top pic here is almost exactly what my fish looks like, guess it's a difference in age. He's about 6-7" now. Starting to feel like I need to hurry up and get the upgrade started.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back