Which screws/bolts/brackets can I use in sump area?

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a new tank build in the process and my stand is made from solid wood. However, I need to mount several things to the inside of the stand to complete the build. I’m wondering what kind of screws I can use that will hold these things in place to the wood, yet will not corrode or rust, being that they are inside the sump which will have some moisture.

First, I need to mount an American DJ power strip to the underside of the stand. The power strip has ears with holes in them. If I find the correct screws and L brackets I think I can mount it straight to the underside of the stand. But what material should these brackets and screws be?

Second, I’ll be mounting two controller power strips, a few modules, and various controllers (like for mp40 and vectra) on the side of the stand. I plan to use a single large piece of wood cut to the size of the wall that will be attached by a few screws and raised ribs. This is to avoid putting too many holes in the stand itself and instead screws go into the cutout. Again, what kind of screws should I use to attach the cut out and all the other goodies? I’m thinking for the cutout, I can make the screw holes slightly recessed and then filled to be unseen or exposed to the conditions.

Third, I’ll be mounting my controller and doser to the side as well. I plan to make an acrylic 2 shelf tray that will be attached to the cut out. These screws are going to be exposed, how do I keep them from rusting?

Finally, I need to attach wire runs (made from ABS I believe). Should I use screws or heavy duty double sided tape to attach those to the underside and left side of the stand?

Any tips and advice is very welcome since this is my first time attempting to figure this kind of stuff out.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a new tank build in the process and my stand is made from solid wood. However, I need to mount several things to the inside of the stand to complete the build. I’m wondering what kind of screws I can use that will hold these things in place to the wood, yet will not corrode or rust, being that they are inside the sump which will have some moisture.

First, I need to mount an American DJ power strip to the underside of the stand. The power strip has ears with holes in them. If I find the correct screws and L brackets I think I can mount it straight to the underside of the stand. But what material should these brackets and screws be?

Second, I’ll be mounting two controller power strips, a few modules, and various controllers (like for mp40 and vectra) on the side of the stand. I plan to use a single large piece of wood cut to the size of the wall that will be attached by a few screws and raised ribs. This is to avoid putting too many holes in the stand itself and instead screws go into the cutout. Again, what kind of screws should I use to attach the cut out and all the other goodies? I’m thinking for the cutout, I can make the screw holes slightly recessed and then filled to be unseen or exposed to the conditions.

Third, I’ll be mounting my controller and doser to the side as well. I plan to make an acrylic 2 shelf tray that will be attached to the cut out. These screws are going to be exposed, how do I keep them from rusting?

Finally, I need to attach wire runs (made from ABS I believe). Should I use screws or heavy duty double sided tape to attach those to the underside and left side of the stand?

Any tips and advice is very welcome since this is my first time attempting to figure this kind of stuff out.

Anything stainless steel or plastic is recommended. Other metals can corrode and potentially become an issue down the road.

Joesig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
316 stainless for best corrosion protection.
Although given enough time nothing metal is totally rust proof.

Best way to tell if the stainless is 316 is to put a magnet on it if it sticks its not.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back