Which second fish for IM Nuvo 10g?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First fish planned is going to be a tailspot blenny. Already have some barnacle shells ready to aquascape for him/her to hang out.

Tank will also have some red and green display macros, RFAs and inverts like sexy shrimp and a pom pom.

TBS rock and sand arriving on Thursday!

I am considering a second fish (planning stage, of course).

Options:
1. Mocha or snowflake clown (with BTA)
2. Purple or exquisite firefish
3. Green mandarin (with heavy feeding supplementation and training to take liquid egg/copepod foods... A real challenge, but I'm all in on this tank)

Opinions?

IMG_20220103_130027972.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the firefish of the three.

BTA's get large and will consume that tank in time.

Mandarins live 10-15 years and constant feeding/culturing pods really puts a damper on having a life.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First fish planned is going to be a tailspot blenny. Already have some barnacle shells ready to aquascape for him/her to hang out.

Tank will also have some red and green display macros, RFAs and inverts like sexy shrimp and a pom pom.

TBS rock and sand arriving on Thursday!

I am considering a second fish (planning stage, of course).

Options:
1. Mocha or snowflake clown (with BTA)
2. Purple or exquisite firefish
3. Green mandarin (with heavy feeding supplementation and training to take liquid egg/copepod foods... A real challenge, but I'm all in on this tank)

Opinions?

IMG_20220103_130027972.jpg
I would do an exquisite fire fish personally because they’re nicer looking than the purple (Although both are nice I just prefer the exquisite/helfrichi).

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the firefish of the three.

BTA's get large and will consume that tank in time.

Mandarins live 10-15 years and constant feeding/culturing pods really puts a damper on having a life.
Two for fire fish so far!

RE: Mandarins, have you heard of people having success with foods like this instead of live pods:

Would make owning the mandarin more enjoyable, I imagine. I also imagine it's a coin toss or worse whether the mandarin takes to the food or not...

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call me cRAzY, but every nano I’ve ever had has had a Yellow Tail Damsel. The most beautifully fish a $10 bill will get you. Lol! (Add it last.)
Agreed! But I am getting my fish from Dr. Reef, so already paying the premium :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tamberav @i cant think
In your experience, do the firefish get along with other tank inhabitants? I read everywhere that the tailspot is peaceful. Just don't want a tankmate that decides to pick on him/her.
The fire fish are basically small tilefish but easier to keep IMO. They jump, the rat regularly and hate being picked on by larger fish. They don’t go after other fish as long as they’re left alone

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tamberav @i cant think
In your experience, do the firefish get along with other tank inhabitants? I read everywhere that the tailspot is peaceful. Just don't want a tankmate that decides to pick on him/her.

tailspots can actually be feisty... more so than a firefish. I would not anticipate that you can't have both though.

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a mandarin in a 15g and I always supplement copepods to that tank. Mine also eats lobster eggs which helps a lot. If you are willing to do that and make it a sort of monthly subscription like Netflix to your Mandarin then I think go for it but be aware that it’s of course a lot more expensive in smaller tanks. I’ve had a fire fish before and in my experience they can be very reclusive and a character fish such as a blenny may cause it to hide a lot. There are of course those with better experiences than me. I think a clown would be okay in the short term but I’ve seen some really big adults in the ocellaris and percula family and they’re sold as tiny babies so I’d keep that in mind if you don’t plan on getting a bigger tank. Good luck with whichever you go with!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back