Which should I be using Triton or Other Methods on my system

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Should I be using Core 7 Triton Other methods instead of Core 7 Triton?

• Core 7 Triton

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me if you read this on the FB group.

I have been using Core 7 Triton Method since September 2017 - Its almost time to buy new supply and wonder if I should be using Other Methods. Here is some information about my system

I have a Red Sea Reefer with the stock sump, mixed reef mostly LPS and anemones. Moderate to heavy bioload.

IMG-0172.JPG
I have DIY a fuge (getting a ReefDreams baffle from someone next week) and added an Algae Scrubber. Not using any additional nutrient reduction except the ChemiPure bags.
IMG-0174.JPG
I have ChemiPure Blue in media cups, instead of GFO & Carbon. Just no room left for a reactor. Everything looks good, I get glass build up every few days, have a tuft or two of algae where some vermetid snails keep the grazers away. I want to start using Vibrant to reduce the glass algae growth and to take care of the few tufts of turf. Currently dosing 5ml of each 1, 2, 3 A & B. NO3 & PO4 are creeping up PO4 is now 0.1 and NO3 is 6. Alk/Mg/Ca are all stable. I have not changed my dose since I gave away a bunch of SPS frags and had to drop it about 2 mls after that change.

See my signature for latest ICP test if interested.

Should I be using Core 7 Triton Other methods instead of Core 7 Triton?

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have used Triton, Aquaforest and Red Sea systems. Settled on Red Sea as growth was better and corals seemed healthier. However I think that any of the three are fine. Is probably more important to pick one and stick with it as impatience has been the ruin of many a reefer.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t seem like you have 10-20% of your total volume in a refugium getting 10x the turnover. Since you aren’t running that (Triton) system, you should use “other methods” as you are doing anOther Method than the Triton Method. Triton doesn’t use reactors or turf scrubbers.

OP
OP
PiscesPower

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t seem like you have 10-20% of your total volume in a refugium getting 10x the turnover. Since you aren’t running that (Triton) system, you should use “other methods” as you are doing anOther Method than the Triton Method. Triton doesn’t use reactors or turf scrubbers.

I actually switched over to Other methods this week. Maybe I'll be able to upgrade my sump in the future, but some other things on the wish list first. Thanks for the input everyone.

Have used Triton, Aquaforest and Red Sea systems. Settled on Red Sea as growth was better and corals seemed healthier. However I think that any of the three are fine. Is probably more important to pick one and stick with it as impatience has been the ruin of many a reefer.

@OLDREEFER44 Do you do water changes?

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I got only one answer to this question on another thread I'll try it here...
Running "Core 7 Triton Method" for a year and I want to change to "Core 7 Triton Other Methods". I do not have a full method sump but with the Kessel 380 'frug light I've been getting away with it until now. Fighting Dino's for the last couple of months which killed 75% of my corals and thinking maybe the extra stuff in Full Triton Method may be wrong for my tank so I bought "Other Methods". My question is can I just change to Other Methods from Full Triton Method without problems with alk, mag and cal or will this change everything with my dosing "going ape". Realize the 'frug might act differently. Are the chemicals the same % with only plant growth type stuff added or is it a completely different mix?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back