Which skimmer design is better?

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm designing a 3D printed skimmer. I have a question about the design of the output into the skimmer chamber. This skimmer has a 6 inch diameter, and the chamber will be 11 inches tall. Should I utilize a bubble plate so that the bubbles move upwards throughout most of the chamber volume, or should I aim the output at an angle, such that it causes the bubbles to swirl around the chamber in a vortex? Here are the images of my two designs, both of which have the pump mounted outside.

A.PNG

B.PNG

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think either design would work fundamentally, however the side angled piping would be much easier to put together and adjust from my viewpoint (I don't have a 3D printer though so I don't know how hard or how ling it would take to build a bubble plate).

OP
OP
Shigshwa

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think either design would work fundamentally, however the side angled piping would be much easier to put together and adjust from my viewpoint (I don't have a 3D printer though so I don't know how hard or how ling it would take to build a bubble plate).

I actually have both parts printed, I'm simply torn as to which one I should go with, ha ha.

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have both parts printed, I'm simply torn as to which one I should go with, ha ha.
Good luck! That's a nice cad drawing though, always have to appreciate good cad drawings!

OP
OP
Shigshwa

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running the vortex nozzle. The flow of bubbles through the chamber is very thorough, but it doesn't swirl as much as I thought it would. The bubbles and water sharply turn upward upon exiting, creating a U shaped flow pattern as some bubbles exit upwards, and some reflect downwards. I'll test the bubble plate later today.

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running the vortex nozzle. The flow of bubbles through the chamber is very thorough, but it doesn't swirl as much as I thought it would. The bubbles and water sharply turn upward upon exiting, creating a U shaped flow pattern as some bubbles exit upwards, and some reflect downwards. I'll test the bubble plate later today.
Could you do pictures or videos of the setup?

OP
OP
Shigshwa

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you do pictures or videos of the setup?

I will make a video later today. The skimmer is starting to break in already, a foam head is forming. Turning down the pump helped to reduce surface agitation, and that seems to be helping the foam form too.

OP
OP
Shigshwa

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble plate

Vortex nozzle

I'm not sure which one utilizes the chamber volume better. I noted though, that the bubble plates seems to cause more bubbles to exit the skimmer. Both of them seem to cause an area of turbulent water at the surface, so neither is better than the other in the regard. I believe that the bubble plate creates slightly larger bubbles than the nozzle.

tthouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY is always fun, so I wish you have fun with your process. If that is my case, I will lookforward to buy the old skimmer body around 20 bucks then modify my old pump to work with it.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The point of a well designed bubble plate is to reduce bubble turbulence into the skimmer chamber, where you don't want bubbles flying everywhere, but upwards only. So the tube design will cause more of a chaotic turbulence in the skimmer chamber. If you can, look at the AquaMaxx bubble plates. It's probably the most well designed part of their skimmers.

tygger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The majority of skimmers today use the bubble chamber, so I'd assume it's the better design. I remember my first Euroreef skimmer was designed without the chamber.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool designs. I don't have any knowledge to contribute, but I wanted to appreciate the fine work!

Back