Which SPS would you not put in your tank again?

scoobs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently learned Rainbow Pocci is a prolific propagator. When conditions are good they spawn and produce many little colonies all over your tank. It also apparently packs a good sting, if situated next to other corals. Thus eventually leading to a Rainbow Pocci dominated tank if left unchecked.

This was news to me, so as I was transplanting the mother colony and the dozens of baby colonies I could siphon up to another tank, I was thinking, what other sps should I be weary of?

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You hit in on the head for me. It is the only SPS I can think of that I won't add.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plating and encrusting montis.
The Xenia of sps.

Accidental frag took off. Look between the piorities. It's all over that Rockne the back side.
IMG_0171.JPG

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Porities I believe will spread sexually thru the tank, popping up everywhere. I have a green pocci frag in my frag tank right now waiting on my 35 to finish cycling. I haven't seen any spreading... I've had porities hitch hike in on a snail shell and frag plug. The one on the snail didn't make it long and I removed the one on the frag plug.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Porities I believe will spread sexually thru the tank, popping up everywhere. I have a green pocci frag in my frag tank right now waiting on my 35 to finish cycling. I haven't seen any spreading... I've had porities hitch hike in on a snail shell and frag plug. The one on the snail didn't make it long and I removed the one on the frag plug.
I wish those two in the pic would spread.

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a $25 sunset monti mowing down a huge Fox Flame colony currently. Anything encrusting is bad IMO.
next would be Montipora Confusa. Funny thing is that 10 years ago I would have given my left eye to just grow any sps Coral. I was dying to grow it. So truthfully, it’s a good problem to have!

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Montis-- caps, encrusting, digitata, ect. Pocci, Seriatopora(bird nests), stylos, setosa, hydnophora, pavonas
All of the above become space eaters(weeds) and/or pests. It becomes hard to give frags away locally because everybody has them.

There are some encrusting montis that may be slower growers or very pretty/rare that may be worth keeping on isolated rocks.

Acroporas--- Some fast growers can become weeds, so choose wisely.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All MBP&S except for Leng Sy Cap. No green & blue slimer or Miami Orchid - just grow too fast and take over.

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thread! I'm getting into SPS more and more, so this is all interesting information! I have a green slimer, which several people mentioned as being a fast grower. I realize with encrusting montis how they can be a pain, but aren't branching acros pretty easy to deal with growth? Just go in and snip some branches, or is it more involved than that?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can just snip them, but when nobody wants them after a while and you just have to throw them away, I feel bad.

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montipora spongodes. Impossible to kill. I can smother it in pure kalk paste for half an hour and within a week it looks like nothing happened
Ora Red planet acro beats it. I have an orange cap and spongodas both grew up to the base of the red planet and both get burnt recess and the rp takes the space

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddly for me green slimer has been a real slow grower. Everything else has a respectable pace. Even the tort and efflo. Green slimer just doesn’t grow or encrust. Just sits there for lik 6 months now. Hasn’t grown a single cm

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back