Which substrate size do you prefer?

toybox22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen lots of debates on the type of substrates people use. I've personally always gone with a little bit bigger sized sand(middle pic) so I can have my powerheads going stronger. My local reef store however has changed all there display tanks to coral rubble as substrate(right pic) and they all look amazing. What do you guys think?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen rubble substrate based tank in one of my LFS, its stunning. There are other pros as well (wont blow away by power head, less detritous etc) and cons (sand shifting fish/creatures will suffer, effect on tank params etc). I went with fine sand in the beginning, and then settle with a mix of fine sand and coarse grained due to mp10 blowing fine sand off... I also reduced the sand bottom from 2" to 0.5" in due process (mostly due to cyano)

OP
OP
toybox22

toybox22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was struggling to remember 'LFS', total brain fart. haha

The rubble really seems to do well. I found a pic of one of their tanks I took recently. I'll have to get more when I go back. This is there softy tank.

I've been thinking of reducing my depth as well. I just have a ton of detritus even if I blow it all out. Or maybe I should grab a conch and see how that does. My nassarius's just can't keep up.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back