Which t5 to use

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 48 inch Giesemann infiniti that will be due for bulb changes in a few months. I run 2 Phoenix 14k halides and 4 ati actinic with 2 Orphek blue plus bars. I have a mixed reef but predominantly sps. I had considered going to 2 blue plus and 2 actinic, 4 blue plus, 4 Giesemann super actinic or staying with the 4 ati actinic because I am getting good results. Any suggestions? I run the t5 8 hours per day.

greekspec2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran the following on my Infiniti and like the 4-Actinic Blue with the Megachrome 20k, the Super Actinic are dimmer so the Actinic Blue overpowered them.

4-Super Actinics
2-Actinic Blue/2-Super Actinics
4-Actinic Blue

greekspec2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah if I don’t like it I can go back to the Phoenix bulbs, I was leaning towards the blue+ and actinic either way or 4 blue plus
I got a brand new Giesemann Crystal 17,5k you can try $40 its very white and bright
fullsizeoutput_265.jpeg

greekspec2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have 2 brand new of these I had thought about trying if I didn’t like the 10k. I really like the Phoenix 14k so still trying to decide if I want to change.

to be very honest the Phoenix Helarc 'Blue' 14k is really a mislabel bulb thats more a 20k, pull it's color chromaticity coordinates and you will see but that's for another day.

Anyways If your interested in a 10k bulb then run the BLV/Ushio who designed the original 10k bulb. But to be very honest it should be the same as the Megachrome Marine and if I were you run those Crystals there very very pure white.

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to be very honest the Phoenix Helarc 'Blue' 14k is really a mislabel bulb thats more a 20k, pull it's color chromaticity coordinates and you will see but that's for another day.

Anyways If your interested in a 10k bulb then run the BLV/Ushio who designed the original 10k bulb. But to be very honest it should be the same as the Megachrome Marine and if I were you run those Crystals there very very pure white.
Interesting, that makes sense. I may just use the megachrome since I already have them when it’s time to change out. Thanks for the information

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in your boat forever now thinking about changing or switching bulbs, mainly cause I like experimenting and tweaking things lol.
Yeah that’s pretty much why I was thinking about it, getting very good results as is. I also have 2 mp40, 1 on each side and I have thought about adding a Red Sea ReefWave 45 and putting it on 1 side and the 2 mp40 on the opposite. But that may be too much for a 120 gallon tank

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s pretty much why I was thinking about it, getting very good results as is. I also have 2 mp40, 1 on each side and I have thought about adding a Red Sea ReefWave 45 and putting it on 1 side and the 2 mp40 on the opposite. But that may be too much for a 120 gallon tank
I have a 60g cube with a 250w Phoenix, a XR15 gen4 for "fun lighting", and 3 tunzes on random pulse flow inside of it lol.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%

Back