Which tank would you choose? ~24"

Reefer_NYC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So i'm looking to upgrade my current 20g cube and i live in NYC where space is... well there is no space... lol

My budget is around ~$1k +/- $500 and looking for a tank that has dimensions 36x24x~16 or lower OR 24x24 cube

Which tank would you choose? Reefer 170, Reefer 200xl, FijiCube full package, waterbox 55 frag, or......?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im a fan of a large cube but i do have room for a 36". i already have a reefer 250 and no point in getting the same tank twice imo lol

You know you want to....

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBH tanks are nice, stands are terrible. wish it was a standard glossy white

Interesting, from everyone I've talked to that has owned one of there aluminum stands say they are the best stands they have ever owned. But, I have never owned one myself, only there cheap MDF stands of the past models. Red Sea stands for there smaller tanks are the same press board they have always been so not much quality there either.

Waterbox might be alright, I've heard they have plywood stands with an MDF finish layer. The Waterbox Frag 85 fits your dimensions perfectly and I've always been a bit of a sucker for a shallow tank.

OP
OP
Reefer_NYC

Reefer_NYC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Interesting, from everyone I've talked to that has owned one of there aluminum stands say they are the best stands they have ever owned. But, I have never owned one myself, only there cheap MDF stands of the past models. Red Sea stands for there smaller tanks are the same press board they have always been so not much quality there either.

Waterbox might be alright, I've heard they have plywood stands with an MDF finish layer. The Waterbox Frag 85 fits your dimensions perfectly and I've always been a bit of a sucker for a shallow tank.
i might have to drop the hammer and go with that tank.... rip wallet

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i might have to drop the hammer and go with that tank.... rip wallet

I'd be looking at either the Reefer 300XL, Frag 85, Reef 100.3 or the Marine X 90.3.

What type of livestock are you looking to add? Or just keeping what you already have?

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go Fiji cube. I’ve been eyeing up the 34 gallon for weeks. I really like the 48 but the 30” length seems rather odd. IM25/50 lagoon wouldn’t be bad either if you’re open to an AIO

OP
OP
Reefer_NYC

Reefer_NYC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'd be looking at either the Reefer 300XL, Frag 85, Reef 100.3 or the Marine X 90.3.

What type of livestock are you looking to add? Or just keeping what you already have?
I’d go Fiji cube. I’ve been eyeing up the 34 gallon for weeks. I really like the 48 but the 30” length seems rather odd. IM25/50 lagoon wouldn’t be bad either if you’re open to an AIO
How about the waterbox Frag 55.2 (24x24x16) Haven't seen many videos or reviews on this particular tank - https://waterboxaquariums.com/products/frag-55-2?variant=37719203709118

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about the waterbox Frag 55.2 (24x24x16) Haven't seen many videos or reviews on this particular tank - https://waterboxaquariums.com/products/frag-55-2?variant=37719203709118

Interesting, I didn’t even know that was existed. From a cost perspective Fiji cube might be cheaper, IM for sure. It would be very close in cost and quality though. I’d still probably go with Fiji cube because I can add my own sump.

My only concern is this tank is from there original Frag series which they discontinued over a year ago. If there are any issues with it you might be SOL on a replacement or replacement parts depending on what needs to be replaced.

Another thing is you're not really getting much more of a bigger tank. It's almost like a side grade instead of an upgrade.

OP
OP
Reefer_NYC

Reefer_NYC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My only concern is this tank is from there original Frag series which they discontinued over a year ago. If there are any issues with it you might be SOL on a replacement or replacement parts depending on what needs to be replaced.

Another thing is you're not really getting much more of a bigger tank. It's almost like a side grade instead of an upgrade.
As far as parts is concerned, pretty sure it would only be the tank having issues because they use the same stand and plumbing on their other models. Coming from a 20 cube which is 17.5 all around BUT the actual display dimensions is like 17.5 x 13 while the 55 frag is really 24x24 display

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you had an issue with the tank itself they would probably either make a new one or upgrade you to something bigger. Going from a 20 cube, any tank that’s 24” probably won’t be much of an upgrade. If you really want something that’s 30”-36” I would strongly consider the FJ 48 or 58. Might be a little out of your budget but IMO the dimensions are perfect. Do you have a preference between sump and AIO?

OP
OP
Reefer_NYC

Reefer_NYC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you had an issue with the tank itself they would probably either make a new one or upgrade you to something bigger. Going from a 20 cube, any tank that’s 24” probably won’t be much of an upgrade. If you really want something that’s 30”-36” I would strongly consider the FJ 48 or 58. Might be a little out of your budget but IMO the dimensions are perfect. Do you have a preference between sump and AIO?
would love to go sump to have more room in the display

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back