Which Tank would you get

Which 180G Tank Would you choose?

• Total voters

Sharebear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the process of downsizing my 350G acrylic tank.
Although customized tank sounds more superior and stable option - I am getting stuck into a black hole of going back and forth and doubting all my decisions...
Rimless is pretty but traditional canopy style might fit better with the overall interior look.

Last edited by a moderator:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cade all the way. Being able to swing the side doors open is super handy for any kind of maintenance. Plus I saw one setup where the guy stored all his dosing supplements on the side.

OP
OP
Sharebear

Sharebear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahahah Cade looked super nice though but I live in CA so the idea of eurobrace felt safer. Red Sea series do have eurobrace and vertical seams like CDA/AGE.Red Sea/Cade/innovate marine are all about 3/4 inches thickness.

Most custom tanks are all 1/2”, if you want to go 3/4” it’s about 1500-2000 more.

Was set on Red Sea until I saw the CDA stand/tank in person right next to the Red Sea S-850. The custom wood stand and canopy just fits way better with the current look of the house.
TBH, they are all great choices- go with your gut feeling you can’t go wrong either way haha

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahahah Cade looked super nice though but I live in CA so the idea of eurobrace felt safer. Red Sea series do have eurobrace and vertical seams like CDA/AGE.Red Sea/Cade/innovate marine are all about 3/4 inches thickness.

Most custom tanks are all 1/2”, if you want to go 3/4” it’s about 1500-2000 more.

Was set on Red Sea until I saw the CDA stand/tank in person right next to the Red Sea S-850. The custom wood stand and canopy just fits way better with the current look of the house.
TBH, they are all great choices- go with your gut feeling you can’t go wrong either way haha
Thanks for the insight. Mine will be in wall, so the stand is somewhat wasted looks wise. I'll probably go t slot if I go custom. I agree that having the Eurobrace (or even cross Braces) makes me feel a little more at ease. I don't want a flood

I didn't realize the CDA had the armored seams. Was this an add on? Did you do fully reinforced starboard or inserts? 3/4 glass with the rest of the features, seems like a tank that should hold up!

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a sucker for 180G, I find that to be a very versatile size. And who doesnt love rimless eurobrace?
look forward to see your next build

OP
OP
Sharebear

Sharebear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the insight. Mine will be in wall, so the stand is somewhat wasted looks wise. I'll probably go t slot if I go custom. I agree that having the Eurobrace (or even cross Braces) makes me feel a little more at ease. I don't want a flood

I didn't realize the CDA had the armored seams. Was this an add on? Did you do fully reinforced starboard or inserts? 3/4 glass with the rest of the features, seems like a tank that should hold up!
CDA does armored seams, I did the full reinforced in case I wanted to go for the bare bottom. Although I love jawfish a little too much so will end up needing lots of sand…

Went with 1/2” with CDA since it’s 180G, if I were to go bigger would have done 3/4” but I used to have 360G in acrylic so didn’t want to go bigger lol.

Considered T-Slot too (contacted FramingTech), CDA doesn’t do T-slot. But you can also play around building it on vention.io too. Mine was more of wanted to match the current cabinet look - so went with CDA (also they do marine expoxy grade paint instead of powder coating) and increased the height to 40” as well.

Zoya(CDA) is great btw- I considered adding a back extension to have “hidden space” and she recommended another metal piece that could be detached/attached and could have made the canopy extend to cover the “hidden space” too (did scratch the idea because since I can customize my sump - I should have enough room for ATO reservoir). I’m the opposite of you, I’m not sure I’m in my forever home- so I didn’t want anything to be built into the house, haha.

Glass Cage/Joe is awesome too- honestly the fastest response and great pricing as well. CDA was better with cost in transportation since I live in CA.

Red Sea does come with t slot but they are pretty thin… don’t remember the exact but def less than .75” (went to go measure in person). Framing tech’s t slot looks a lot more solid - depending on how paranoid you are lol.

I think it also depends on where you live bc the cost of the tank can increase from 350 to 1300.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with CDA for my 225 gallon tank. unfortunately it is still in the garage on the pallet, hopefully it can come in soon or I can move. I hope you have a great time with your new tank and hopefully it will be less work than the old big tank.

OP
OP
Sharebear

Sharebear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with CDA for my 225 gallon tank. unfortunately it is still in the garage on the pallet, hopefully it can come in soon or I can move. I hope you have a great time with your new tank and hopefully it will be less work than the old big tank.
Yes! Looking forward to it.. especially easier water change hahah…was contemplating between 225 and 180 but after having 360.. I wanted at least half the size. :D

Just have to be patient for 3 months.. got my Marco rocks and will attempt to HSNA aquascape to keep myself distracted..
Hope your 225G turns out amazing!

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CDA does armored seams, I did the full reinforced in case I wanted to go for the bare bottom. Although I love jawfish a little too much so will end up needing lots of sand…

Went with 1/2” with CDA since it’s 180G, if I were to go bigger would have done 3/4” but I used to have 360G in acrylic so didn’t want to go bigger lol.

Considered T-Slot too (contacted FramingTech), CDA doesn’t do T-slot. But you can also play around building it on vention.io too. Mine was more of wanted to match the current cabinet look - so went with CDA (also they do marine expoxy grade paint instead of powder coating) and increased the height to 40” as well.

Zoya(CDA) is great btw- I considered adding a back extension to have “hidden space” and she recommended another metal piece that could be detached/attached and could have made the canopy extend to cover the “hidden space” too (did scratch the idea because since I can customize my sump - I should have enough room for ATO reservoir). I’m the opposite of you, I’m not sure I’m in my forever home- so I didn’t want anything to be built into the house, haha.

Glass Cage/Joe is awesome too- honestly the fastest response and great pricing as well. CDA was better with cost in transportation since I live in CA.

Red Sea does come with t slot but they are pretty thin… don’t remember the exact but def less than .75” (went to go measure in person). Framing tech’s t slot looks a lot more solid - depending on how paranoid you are lol.

I think it also depends on where you live bc the cost of the tank can increase from 350 to 1300.
Honored for the consideration @Sharebear

I am so glad you found the right fit for you needs. Excited for you. Please start a build thread. Make the journey fun!

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the Res Sea, I have a S-500 but the new line, keeps the sleek looks and gives new options.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 81 79.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back