Which to get????

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a forty gallon I wanna get maybe four more fish, I have these good options

my stocking now
1 A pair of clownfish
2 watchmen goby
3 royal grama basslet
4 a mono fish I’m get rid of this by this month

06D6AAFF-3DB1-498A-A348-053ADF9EA25E.png
73D90DB3-29D1-47D5-A704-52F79A642E7E.png
F21883C5-40FD-42B7-BEB8-0B92E89AFE85.png
E1B34A3D-3B7D-4251-ACF1-A8463DA8DAA9.png
98BC46C6-2D97-4CA9-8A05-15FBC4D7F228.png
B5BF695C-825F-4346-9F51-DD637D48CFB1.png

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of 4 blennies, but I would have to double check if these are compatible with
A pair of clownfish, and a Royal gramma that you currently have?

The purple firefish will fight with the R gramma, and the firefish are spooky and known for jumping out of the water and drying out if you don’t have a cleaner cat or pup?

Same for the watchman goby, I’m not sure if they will put op with all those Blennids!?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s highly likely that the 3 true blennies will fight eachother to the death. Chances are high that the bicolour would survive which may be an issue with the two existing watchman gobies. Cryptocentrus species are nasty when it comes to protecting their dens and will fight off fish from their own den as they age. Juveniles are sweet and harmless but the adults are boisterous. Also, the 3 true blennies you have, none of them are totally reef safe. They all potentially nip coral for the calcium needs, Escenius and Meiacanthus are the worst for nipping LPS/SPS corals and Salarias are known for it but less likely to do it than the other two.

This leaves the Pseudochromis porphyreus, Nematodes magnifica and Synchiropus ocellatus. The Pseudochromis porphyreus will risk aggression towards the existing Gramma loreto trio, potentially killing them off.
The Nematodes magnifica is a very timid species that doesn’t do well with any aggression. These also have a high tendency to jump out when shown too much aggression. And since this will be one of the last fish added into a semi-aggressive tank, it’s likely to not work out.

Last but not least, Synchiropus ocellatus… this is not a true blenny. In fact it’s very closely related to the Psychedelic and Blue Mandarins. Which means that this will need a HUGE pod population. Mandarin Dragonets go through 1000s of pods in just a day, I believe the average amount of pods a day is 1500, so if we do the maths, 1500 x 7 that’s atleast 10,500 pods eaten in a week. So you’ll want to have Atleast a 3 year old 40B before thinking about this family.

OP
OP
Fishology

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s highly likely that the 3 true blennies will fight eachother to the death. Chances are high that the bicolour would survive which may be an issue with the two existing watchman gobies. Cryptocentrus species are nasty when it comes to protecting their dens and will fight off fish from their own den as they age. Juveniles are sweet and harmless but the adults are boisterous. Also, the 3 true blennies you have, none of them are totally reef safe. They all potentially nip coral for the calcium needs, Escenius and Meiacanthus are the worst for nipping LPS/SPS corals and Salarias are known for it but less likely to do it than the other two.

This leaves the Pseudochromis porphyreus, Nematodes magnifica and Synchiropus ocellatus. The Pseudochromis porphyreus will risk aggression towards the existing Gramma loreto trio, potentially killing them off.
The Nematodes magnifica is a very timid species that doesn’t do well with any aggression. These also have a high tendency to jump out when shown too much aggression. And since this will be one of the last fish added into a semi-aggressive tank, it’s likely to not work out.

Last but not least, Synchiropus ocellatus… this is not a true blenny. In fact it’s very closely related to the Psychedelic and Blue Mandarins. Which means that this will need a HUGE pod population. Mandarin Dragonets go through 1000s of pods in just a day, I believe the average amount of pods a day is 1500, so if we do the maths, 1500 x 7 that’s atleast 10,500 pods eaten in a week. So you’ll want to have Atleast a 3 year old 40B before thinking about this family.
I Wouldn’t get all of them I just said these as I thought they were the coolest and niciest

OP
OP
Fishology

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other options were
1six line wrasse
2 up to 3 blue or green chromis
3 Damsel fish
4 canary blenny
5 purple striped dottyback
6 hawk fish
7 your suggestions
8 your suggestions
9 your suggestions
10 your suggestions

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of your list, the dottyback and firefish (if you have a lid) are the best choices. As @i cant think pointed out, the scooter blenny is actual a dragonet, you probably won't have enough algae to sustain the lawnmower blenny so I'd pick one of the bicolor or striped blenny (a midas blenny is a much prettier fish, though).

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purple dottyback is extremely aggressive and will severely limit your other fish IME. I would not give much hope for the firefish or the gramma with that dotty. I would much prefer a royal gramma which I have not found to be overly aggressive. If you want to try a dottyback I would suggest the orchid which is prettier and more docile.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 39 59.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back