which type of zeolite is used in aquariums?

Luna's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what you want to achieve with zeolite though.

If it's ammonia control, biomedia will do just as well, if not better.

If you tumble zeolite regularly to feed corals with bacterioplaktons, that's another situation altogether.
What do you mean about, feed corals with bacterioplaktons, how that works?

1stMarineTankDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That caption above 100% does not apply to reefing, because reefs control ammonia without zeolite

in no way, shape or form does any of that apply to reefing, it’s 1000% out of context snippet. That may possibly apply to fish aquaculture, but it does not apply to reefing whatsoever at any time. The article doesn’t say it applies to saltwater reef tanks because it does not.
aggressive, I had the same question so I'm going to show you what I found. I do know this is an old thread, but people do come looking for good quality and current information. This is from the article, I will also provide a link to the article. I will say that after reading the article, I have no clue where i stand with it. I have used carbon that also had Zeolite in it. I also am not aware of any issues I may have experienced as a result. I'm currently beginning the moonshiners method with my son.

Zeolite in general is a micro-porous, alumino-silicate material that is found in nature and produced industrially. Often zeolites are used as absorbents and catalysts, and they serve both roles when applied to reef aquariums. You can find zeolites in general products ranging from oxygen concentrators used in the medical supply field, down to cat litter, absorbing the ammonia out of your furry friend’s waste. Most of the zeolite materials sold for use in reef aquariums are manufactured, and only based on their naturally occurring counterparts.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, the author of the above article does not apparently understand some of the words he uses (the claim of catalytic processes taking place on zeolites in a reef tank seems a clear example to me), and seems to just be a cheerleader for zeolite use without providing evidence of utility besides it being a place for bacteria to grow.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is no time we'd need to use it in a reef display tank. 1st marine agreed it sounded pushy/always typing out opinions on reefing gets shorter to the point over time it wont read very nicely to new posters/ needs more informative angle vs press agreed.

people who run quarantines would enjoy having a media that scrubs ammonia out of the water without having to mess with bacteria and surface area (million dollar invention + marketing campaign, anyone?)

I have no idea how zeolite works on reef setup chemistry, the methods we already use don't need any help but that qt placement is a really big need for ammonia control.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back