Which zoas have the most color/pattern variance?

notsobigtime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bring this up after posting an ID help thread about my BSA Sticker Shocks. They were verified as being such. BUT, only after being mistaken for a few other things, or folks not knowing what they were, even. The photo of the darker colony is in my tank and came from the exact colony as the other photo that I took in a friend's tank the other day.

The polyps in direct light (fairly high in my tank) are obviously darker and have almost completely lost their pattern, yet the polyps on the side still have some pattern to them, though they are still dark. The polyps from my friends tank has less direct and intense of lighting. They are a lighter color and have a considerable amount more black pattern to them. Neither of the photos are corrected or enhanced. Just plain snap on filter on a phone.

That brings me to my question. Except for reverse halls, sticker shock, and mohicans, does anybody know of another zoa that varies as much as these? Photos would also be great!

Happy Reefing!

20201030_055336.jpg 20201029_151804.jpg

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grandmaster Krakatoa are hysterically inconsistent between "reputable" vendors' listings. Look at the photos SBB, Cornbred, and Kush Corals post on their sites, vs WYSIWYG listings.

OP
OP
notsobigtime

notsobigtime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grandmaster Krakatoa are hysterically inconsistent between "reputable" vendors' listings. Look at the photos SBB, Cornbred, and Kush Corals post on their sites, vs WYSIWYG listings.
You weren't kidding. They seem to be all over the place with colors. Trying to work a trade for one but haven't seen a great photo of it yet. Seeing this makes me wonder.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I remember seeing your other post. Aside from obvious ones like Utter chaos I'll add, purple monsters (and space monsters), CARs and all it's 'bowser" variations, Agaves and all it's variations, salted, white zombie, etc, flaming brohicans/sticker shocks/reverse halls, mind tricks can vary a great deal (in relation to the purple part), and then pretty much any maul.

OP
OP
notsobigtime

notsobigtime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input.. I've heard about the mauls, too. I didn't realize white zombies were from the same strain as the agaves but they do have some similar traits. I still have so much to learn lol

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input.. I've heard about the mauls, too. I didn't realize white zombies were from the same strain as the agaves but they do have some similar traits. I still have so much to learn lol
Seductions, white zombies, and salted agave are all just morphs of eachother. Don’t buy zoas without doing your research, cause most zoas fancy name is just a way for vendor to jack their prices up.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back