OP
OP
Whip

Whip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve received some PM’s from folks that were curious about the orientation of my UV and if it had a negative effect on the internals (air, algae, etc.).

Well, today marks almost one full year of operation. I had committed to clean it out and change the bulb on a yearly basis, so here are what the results of a full year of continuous operation looks like.

Quartz Tube:
44303041-8BE5-41B6-B033-967A6886D862.jpeg

C30390B5-8D00-4ECF-8929-716AB09DFF3A.jpeg

Housing:

93DFF640-57A3-4E57-A656-AC9AE2D9ABEE.jpeg

Everything washed out without scrubbing and cleaned up to an almost new condition. I was very happy.

eeeeek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read through the entire thread and will incorporate many of these ideas in my rebuild once my warranty replacement tank arrives. Thank you for the wealth of information.

OP
OP
Whip

Whip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read through the entire thread and will incorporate many of these ideas in my rebuild once my warranty replacement tank arrives. Thank you for the wealth of information.
I am happy you found it useful and good luck with your new tank! Feel free to PM if you need help. I get a lot of that and am always willing to assist.

eeeeek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still trying to picture what you have going on. Can you take a photo from underneath?

If you see three pipes... twist the pipes. Red Sea doesn’t use bulkheads like you’d get off of Bulk Reef Supply. The bottom of their tank has a plastic plate with a nut molded into it. It’s one piece. The pipes thread into it. Notice the pipes have two sets of threads... the top on threads into the plate and the bottom one accepts their factory union. You actually hack off the bottom set of threads to convert it to standard plumbing.
This was hugely helpful for me today.

Firstreef20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg i just started reading your thread yesterday great build. Love the plumbing work. And also you made me laugh at the end with your cable work . Great inspiration as I am building a 750 currently. Can't wait to see your controller box

swallace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to ressurect a very old thread but after reading through it all this afternoon, I cant help but say that there is a ton of really great info in here for my upcoming 750 build. I see that the OP hasnt been around in awhile but would love an update to this.

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to ressurect a very old thread but after reading through it all this afternoon, I cant help but say that there is a ton of really great info in here for my upcoming 750 build. I see that the OP hasnt been around in awhile but would love an update to this.
Yeah this was my number one source when I did mine

Last edited:

afgi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you and thanks for always stopping by my build thread here and there. I appreciate it.

Anyway, as many of you know, I converted my RSR ATO Reservoir into a shelf to hold an ATS, but I just haven’t needed one. I have zero nutrient problems and algae is a non-concern, so I figured this was an opportunity to NOT add something to my system. With that said, I decided to use my shelf to raise brine shrimp and, eventually, copepod and phytoplankton cultures. The brine shrimp thing has been of fun (and stupid easy). I’ll post pics of the copepod/phytoplankton after I get it up and running.

1598202590732.jpeg

I already have a ton of pods, but this big guy (almost 3” long) has been hammering them...

1598202946991.jpeg
hello, great thread! I like your approach to having it all lean and clean :)

I did not know that breading phyto, pods, and brine shrimp is that easy. Can you pls describe a bit more in detail how it works, what equipment you use, and what is your maintenance schedule (do you automate it somehow)? Where is that transparent piping at the back going to (the one with an orange plastic something in the middle)?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back