Whip fin fairy wrasse

ZoanthidAddict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have experience with this fish ? I read mixed reviews about being very aggressive towards other wrasses

Current setup 75 gal
Yellow coris
Labouti
Long fin fairy
2 clowns
Tomini tang

Lots of hiding spots in rock any help would be appreciated thanks

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are singlehandidly the most aggressive fairy wrasse I have dealt with. IME most other instances of fairy wrasseaggression from other species are related to how long the particular fish has been dominant in the tank as well as size, as larger fairy wrasses can throw there weight around and seem more aggressive than a smaller species, This is not the case with the whipfin. They are mean from day 2 on, maybe day 1 if acclimation is not stressful. This is a fish that should not be with other wrasses.

Nevil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have found the exception but my whipfin is the most submissive skittish wrasse I have. Also have a red velvet and solarensis in my 75 currently for wrasses.

OP
OP
ZoanthidAddict

ZoanthidAddict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my long fin can be a ****** my other wrasses keep him in check I was thinking maybe it would balance it out but I don't want a war inside my tank lol the whip fin is such a nice looking fish too

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my long fin can be a ****** my other wrasses keep him in check I was thinking maybe it would balance it out but I don't want a war inside my tank lol the whip fin is such a nice looking fish too

Whip Fin's are great looking fish, but do tend to be one of the more aggressive Cirrhilabrus species. If it were me, I would not risk it.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have found the exception but my whipfin is the most submissive skittish wrasse I have. Also have a red velvet and solarensis in my 75 currently for wrasses.

C. rubrisquamis and C. solarensis can also be a bit aggressive as well. Order of introduction, size, species temperament, as well as individual personalities all play a role in how a group of fairy wrasses get along.

Our first rubrisquamis (Red Velvet) could be a terror at times and at one point, we had to put him in timeout for about 3 weeks in another tank. He mellowed out quite a bit once he was re-acclimated to the pack. Our current rubrisquamis (and the King of the fairies) has a very mellow temperament.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't risk it either, especially with the long-fin already present. Much potential for disaster!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back