Whiskey's 300 Gallon Glass Cages Dream Reef. It only took 22 years!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big progress has been made on the stand!!! We just have the bartop left to do:
IMG_3953 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

And, since I was getting the coral growth contest pic tonight, I decided to take a few general pics of the tank for everyone:
IMG_6450 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_6441 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_6438 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_6437 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_6427 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_6419 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_6397 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Whiskey
Love it man! Awesome pics and corals! I can’t wait for mine to grow out!

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for everyone. My tank has a dedicated sump room, and I find that especially when the skimmer has not been emptied for a 6 or 7 days (I do it weekly) that room can get a little,.. uhhh,.. fragrant. I am pulling air in from outside, and I could run another pipe to exhaust outside which I think will help, but I'm not sure about how to make the connection from the cup to the pipe.

My skimmer is a Reef Octopus Regal 200 (the 8 inch one with the Varios 4 pump).

Has anyone done this? Do you have any tips?

Whiskey

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for everyone. My tank has a dedicated sump room, and I find that especially when the skimmer has not been emptied for a 6 or 7 days (I do it weekly) that room can get a little,.. uhhh,.. fragrant. I am pulling air in from outside, and I could run another pipe to exhaust outside which I think will help, but I'm not sure about how to make the connection from the cup to the pipe.

My skimmer is a Reef Octopus Regal 200 (the 8 inch one with the Varios 4 pump).

Has anyone done this? Do you have any tips?

Whiskey
Skimate locker.. it drains into a separate container with carbon and works wonders.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the stand! I usually don't like tanks with canopies, but your stand is so clean, it doesn't look overly bulky or detract from your display in any way. Nice job!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimate locker.. it drains into a separate container with carbon and works wonders.
I have this actually! And the biggest one. I got it with a bunch of used equipment I bought, and even retrofitted in a float switch to turn the skimmer off when it was 3/4 full just in case. It didn't really smell, but because the skimmer lid is vented it was still blowing air past everything that collects in the cup and making a smell.

I add this thing back whenever I need to travel for work, but when I move things around and get a better spot for it then it might go back into regular service.

Whiskey

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the stand! I usually don't like tanks with hoods, but your stand is so clean, it doesn't look overly bulky or detract from your display in any way. Nice job!

Thank you Eric!! I really wanted to let the tank shine, and not distract from it with cords, lights, and equipment. My theory was that making it match the kitchen like this both makes it feel like it fits in, and makes it fade away so the tank stands out. I'm happy with the result :)

Whiskey

Adam Houston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just subscribed to your thread. I gotta say your 300 is an incredible build man. I’m really digging the aesthetics of the stand & canopy plus the corals are looking stellar!! I’m thinking of hiring Dave from Aqua Ventures for some help with my new build…are his rates pretty decent?

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just subscribed to your thread. I gotta say your 300 is an incredible build man. I’m really digging the aesthetics of the stand & canopy plus the corals are looking stellar!! I’m thinking of hiring Dave from Aqua Ventures for some help with my new build…are his rates pretty decent?
Thank you Adam!!! Super cool to meet someone local on here! I'm up in Edmond. Do you have a tank build going on here?

I couldn't recommend Dave at Aqua Ventures any more highly. He had a ton of tools, equipment and experience that made the process much easier for myself and my corals. He was able to provide me with all the water I needed, a 300 gallon stock tank to keep everything during the move, 200 gallon water storage tank, transport all of it, use a hydrolic lift table and all the glass handles and labor to move this 600LB glass box. He was super easy to work with and the price was very reasonable for what I got. He's also willing to do whole moves and things depending on the details if you need more assistance. If you don't have his contact info I'd be happy to send it over. He provided me with a basic general quote over the phone then came to see the setup to firm it up so you might be able to get an idea of cost over the phone.

Whiskey

Adam Houston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Adam!!! Super cool to meet someone local on here! I'm up in Edmond. Do you have a tank build going on here?

I couldn't recommend Dave at Aqua Ventures any more highly. He had a ton of tools, equipment and experience that made the process much easier for myself and my corals. He was able to provide me with all the water I needed, a 300 gallon stock tank to keep everything during the move, 200 gallon water storage tank, transport all of it, use a hydrolic lift table and all the glass handles and labor to move this 600LB glass box. He was super easy to work with and the price was very reasonable for what I got. He's also willing to do whole moves and things depending on the details if you need more assistance. If you don't have his contact info I'd be happy to send it over. He provided me with a basic general quote over the phone then came to see the setup to firm it up so you might be able to get an idea of cost over the phone.

Whiskey
That’s awesome man! Just when I thought there probably aren’t any cool large build threads on here by other local reefers, I saw the 300…a jaw dropper for sure!

I’m actually on the Southside near Moore and recently heard about Dave through some FB group recommendations. That would be great if you could send his info. Glad to hear that he is reasonably priced cuz I might need his help plumbing my 120…unfortunately I’m a complete newb when it comes to reef keeping :grinning-face-with-sweat:

I just started a build thread for my 1st saltwater aquarium about a month ago but it’s been a pretty slow refurbishing process. Hoping to have it setup soon!!

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome man! Just when I thought there probably aren’t any cool large build threads on here by other local reefers, I saw the 300…a jaw dropper for sure!

I’m actually on the Southside near Moore and recently heard about Dave through some FB group recommendations. That would be great if you could send his info. Glad to hear that he is reasonably priced cuz I might need his help plumbing my 120…unfortunately I’m a complete newb when it comes to reef keeping :grinning-face-with-sweat:

I just started a build thread for my 1st saltwater aquarium about a month ago but it’s been a pretty slow refurbishing process. Hoping to have it setup soon!!
Whoops! Sorry, busy weekend, I haven't checked into my computer in a few days, but I'll get that right over to you. Heck yeah man!!!! Welcome to the hobby!!!! We need to get more people in Oklahoma city to join us. If you're ever up in the Edmond area and want to talk through ideas let me know.

Whiskey

Adam Houston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops! Sorry, busy weekend, I haven't checked into my computer in a few days, but I'll get that right over to you. Heck yeah man!!!! Welcome to the hobby!!!! We need to get more people in Oklahoma city to join us. If you're ever up in the Edmond area and want to talk through ideas let me know.

Whiskey
No worries man! I appreciate the welcome!! Yeah we need more local reefers in the hobby for sure. Would be nice to have an actual club and go around touring everyone’s fish rooms and aquariums. I use to be an African cichlid breeder back in Indianapolis many moons ago and we had a pretty great Indy Cichlid Club. This saltwater hobby seems way more complex- would be awesome to learn from yall master reefkeepers!!:cool:

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries man! I appreciate the welcome!! Yeah we need more local reefers in the hobby for sure. Would be nice to have an actual club and go around touring everyone’s fish rooms and aquariums. I use to be an African cichlid breeder back in Indianapolis many moons ago and we had a pretty great Indy Cichlid Club. This saltwater hobby seems way more complex- would be awesome to learn from yall master reefkeepers!!:cool:
Oh man that would be cool!!! I was in a Freshwater Planted tank group back in like 2001 that did that and I loved it. I got to see the tank that won the AGA contest that year, he was a member of the club too.

There was a group here that did that on facebook, but as I'm told they stopped when COVID hit and haven't started back up again. I'd be totally willing to host something like that.

Whiskey

Adam Houston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man that would be cool!!! I was in a Freshwater Planted tank group back in like 2001 that did that and I loved it. I got to see the tank that won the AGA contest that year, he was a member of the club too.

There was a group here that did that on facebook, but as I'm told they stopped when COVID hit and haven't started back up again. I'd be totally willing to host something like that.

Whiskey
Nice! I was in my ICC club back in 2008-2012ish saw so many fish rooms & man caves just loaded full of fresh water tanks. We had our own newsletter & monthly meetings/auction events. I wish there was something like that here for the saltwater folks!! I’m gonna take a look on FB…would be great to start that movement and get a club going again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back