White Acro Bugs?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know. No not for AEFW for those I would use potassium chloride
Being "careful" with Bayer in a concentrated dip, works for red and grey bugs and allot of other hitch hikers. It may take multiple dips sometimes these bugs close up in a polyp or are just phased (by some dips like revive and coralrx), so multiple dips and an observation tank is the way to go, if the coral can't be removed its tricky but it sounds like you can.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many different types of parasitic copepods from the order harpacticoida that affect Acropora other than tegastes acroporanus (red bugs), yes they are "pods" just not the good kind of pods.
alteuthellopsis, tegastes and parategastes to name a few genuses

From what I have seen some of these translucent pods can be more destructive than the familiar red bugs, which are usually associated with loss of color and inhibited growth, but I have witnessed a translucent variety cause destruction of polyps and invoking tissue recession, some varieties seen to actually "live" in the corallites / their cavities.

In addition to milbemycin oxime (interceptor) lufenuron can be quite effective well as exposure to it interferes with their ability to produce chitin/ exoskeleton, it can be safely dosed into the aquarium as well, it can also be a bit easier to obtain without a vet Rx.

Hope this helps

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many different types of parasitic copepods from the order harpacticoida that affect Acropora other than tegastes acroporanus (red bugs), yes they are "pods" just not the good kind of pods.
alteuthellopsis, tegastes and parategastes to name a few genuses

From what I have seen some of these translucent pods can be more destructive than the familiar red bugs, which are usually associated with loss of color and inhibited growth, but I have witnessed a translucent variety cause destruction of polyps and invoking tissue recession, some varieties seen to actually "live" in the corallites / their cavities.

In addition to milbemycin oxime (interceptor) lufenuron can be quite effective well as exposure to it interferes with their ability to produce chitin/ exoskeleton, it can be safely dosed into the aquarium as well, it can also be a bit easier to obtain without a vet Rx.

Hope this helps
What is the dosage for lufenuron?

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipped the affected coral in Potassium Chloride at 3g per liter for 15 minutes last weekend. Looking at it today they seem totally unaffected. Not sure if I should dip longer or stronger.
That concentration of KCl is low. I use 10 g/L seawater for 5 minutes based on the Reef Primer dip. BTW, you can use Brightwell Potassion-P at this dose as a much cheaper alternative to Reef Primer with equivalent results.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
KCl dips are effective at killing 95% of them. As an example, here are red bugs and white bugs off of a plagued coral dipped in Reef Primer for 5 minutes:

RB.jpg
WB.jpg
This microscope image suggest ostracods which are flea like also called seed shrimps and would be resistant to dips. They are suspension feeders and some Wrasses such as yellow coris and lunare MAY eat them

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That concentration of KCl is low. I use 10 g/L seawater for 5 minutes based on the Reef Primer dip. BTW, you can use Brightwell Potassion-P at this dose as a much cheaper alternative to Reef Primer with equivalent results.

Oh no kidding ok thanks. I have the Potassion but the Now KCL was quite cheap is well so I’ll use that up first.

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ivermectin is very effective and can be purchased at Tractor Supply or Amazon (1% solution). However, if you have snails or other inverts in your tank, treated corals need a decontamination stop with lots of activated carbon in a holding tank for 24 hours prior to return. Also, Clorox your treatment water (outside) prior to disposal because ivermectin is lethal to inverts in waterways for months to years.

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipped again at the suggested 10g/l for 10 minutes (figured a big colony can take it) and looks like they all dropped off. Fingers crossed.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 58 55.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%

Back