White bleached marks on scully

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this scolymia in my tank forn3 or so weeks now and today noticed these white blemishes on the surface. Suggestions? I haven't check parameters in a week, but every other coral in the tank is happy. Only major change is a lighting adjustment 8 days ago.

20200417_130939.jpg
20200417_130951.jpg

OP
OP
Passedyouby

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't look good.How does the scoly look currently?

Thanks for reaching out! Hes currently plump, healthy, eating, etc. White spots haven't gone away, however yesterday I noticed a piece of food that had settled on him and directly under the food was a white spot. Now, did the food happen to perfectly land on and existing mark, or was the spot caused by the food (pellet from my AFS) slowly decomposing for a few hours on the Scoly? That I'm not sure...

Pardon the mess, just did some maintenance and the water hasnt cleared up yet, plus I didnt throw a filter over the camera lens to snap this image for ya.

20200427_161023.jpg

OP
OP
Passedyouby

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urgh!!! Turn for the worse today!!! I didnt even notice this yesterday! Visible skeleton though the flesh via 3 holes about 5mm diameter!!!!

Anyone???

20200520_163741.jpg

20200520_163826.jpg
20200520_163835.jpg

OP
OP
Passedyouby

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fyi all dosing has been off for about a month
Sitting at 6.9 currently. Is that a little low for him?

OP
OP
Passedyouby

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding it

Calcium- 444 via hanna
PO4- .01ppm via hanna
Salinity- 1.027 via Milwaukee

Mysis. The high protein Canadian stuff. I mostly broadcast these days and did notice earlier in the week that his feeding response is so dang slow that most food is gone before he gets a chance. I'm honestly thinking I'm starving the poor guy. Had a GHA outbreak (stupid story) and have cut all feedings in half for the past 3 weeks trying to clean the tank up.

Is this a sign of a starving Scolymia? I noticed there were even holes where I could see his feeding tentacles. I'm a terrible person right now..

Just spot fed him along with aminos and he responded to that. Have my WC station heating up RN (been mixing for 2 days) and adding some baking soda to boost alk a bit extra.

Hes at approx 200par under Kessils. Same spot hes been in since I got him (3-4mths?). I dont want to move him too much, but could find a home with around 150 if needed, but will require some heavy scape adjustments

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium- 444 via hanna
PO4- .01ppm via hanna
Salinity- 1.027 via Milwaukee

Mysis. The high protein Canadian stuff. I mostly broadcast these days and did notice earlier in the week that his feeding response is so dang slow that most food is gone before he gets a chance. I'm honestly thinking I'm starving the poor guy. Had a GHA outbreak (stupid story) and have cut all feedings in half for the past 3 weeks trying to clean the tank up.

Is this a sign of a starving Scolymia? I noticed there were even holes where I could see his feeding tentacles. I'm a terrible person right now..

Just spot fed him along with aminos and he responded to that. Have my WC station heating up RN (been mixing for 2 days) and adding some baking soda to boost alk a bit extra.

Hes at approx 200par under Kessils. Same spot hes been in since I got him (3-4mths?). I dont want to move him too much, but could find a home with around 150 if needed, but will require some heavy scape adjustments
I think it is. To be honest I’m having the exact same issue with my scoly right now. No holes in mine yet but it’s receding every day. I can’t figure out what’s wrong and mine doesn’t show any feeding response anymore so I can’t even plump it back up :(

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Reduce salinity a little and I wonder if it is truly 1.027 or even higher. Have you calibrated it?
Reduce white lighting over it and consider a hydrogen Peroxide dip

OP
OP
Passedyouby

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reduce salinity a little and I wonder if it is truly 1.027 or even higher. Have you calibrated it?
Reduce white lighting over it and consider a hydrogen Peroxide dip

Yep! I had a salinity issue awhile back and have been a freak about calibrating my Milwaukee lol. Did a water change 2 days ago and salinity was a Tooouuuch high, that's why I'm rocking 1.027 right now.

Hadn't thought about a lighting adjustment. Hmm. What should the hydrogen do for him in your experience?

OP
OP
Passedyouby

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is. To be honest I’m having the exact same issue with my scoly right now. No holes in mine yet but it’s receding every day. I can’t figure out what’s wrong and mine doesn’t show any feeding response anymore so I can’t even plump it back up :(

Do you use amino acids? I have only been using for a hot minute and pretty mush broadcast, but today I mixed it right with the food I was feeding to the scolly and he reacted in record time! Didnt expect it

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yep! I had a salinity issue awhile back and have been a freak about calibrating my Milwaukee lol. Did a water change 2 days ago and salinity was a Tooouuuch high, that's why I'm rocking 1.027 right now.

Hadn't thought about a lighting adjustment. Hmm. What should the hydrogen do for him in your experience?
Anthing irritating its' tissue will be neutralized.
For piece of mind, take a water sample to a trusted LFS and have them test salinity for you to verify reading and compare against your reading.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use amino acids? I have only been using for a hot minute and pretty mush broadcast, but today I mixed it right with the food I was feeding to the scolly and he reacted in record time! Didnt expect it
Yeah I do Zeovit. I dose a lot of different amino acids. I think it got stung by a nearby chalice and is just having a hard time recovering now. I moved it to my smaller tank with lower light and flow. Maybe that was a mistake moving it but what’s done is done :(

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back