White Euphyllia bugs

Gavin Noy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just made a new post about these. I've found them on a tiger torch and a hammer. The torch seems to be more effected. I've just dipped in reef primer but can still see them immediately after the dip. How would one go about getting interceptor? With it being a prescription I'm assuming you'd have to take a dog to the vet?
I have doubled the concentration of primer and coral rx and mixed them together and dipped for 10 minutes and they are still on my torch. What i have done is got more flow on it now and its doing well. Raised my mag to 1500 and the torch is actually starting to split with a very small amount of the bugs visible.

ab-774819

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have doubled the concentration of primer and coral rx and mixed them together and dipped for 10 minutes and they are still on my torch. What i have done is got more flow on it now and its doing well. Raised my mag to 1500 and the torch is actually starting to split with a very small amount of the bugs visible.
My torch wasn't showing any signs of stress from the bugs but I sure am lol I have 5 torches total and 4 hammers, only 1 torch and 1 hammer (side by side) show signs of these little white bugs. I suppose I'm going to do some research on how to get ahold of some interceptor to hopefully get rid of these suckers.

ab-774819

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found them on my torch... They r not pods and definitely harming the coral. You can confirm by using a blue light after the lights r out. Shine at base of the coral where the flesh are, you may see tiny fluorescent bugs crawling. They r similar to asterina stars that munch on zoa zooxanthellae and takes on its color. You will see the same with these. Dipping on conventional dips doesn't seem to get rid of them. I am waiting on the interceptor...
Where are you getting interceptor from?

Gavin Noy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are yours doing? They have spread in my tank to all other torches at this point and I'm freaking out
On both torches. They become more apparent when the torch isn’t doing so well. When i stop tinkering and leave them be and the torches look well they are hard to find. The first torch that had it 4 months ago is splitting now.

ab-774819

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On both torches. They become more apparent when the torch isn’t doing so well. When i stop tinkering and leave them be and the torches look well they are hard to find. The first torch that had it 4 months ago is splitting now.
It's almost like they bore into the tentacles of my torches... they create a bump on the tentacles...it's so bad now for mine. The torches are definitely being affected. Idk what I can do and I hate it.

Attachments

• 20240130_151919.jpg
    20240130_151919.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240130_151951.jpg
    20240130_151951.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 25

Gavin Noy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's almost like they bore into the tentacles of my torches... they create a bump on the tentacles...it's so bad now for mine. The torches are definitely being affected. Idk what I can do and I hate it.
What helped mine were getting it in some decent flow. Dipping was useless. 2 lads at my LFS are experimenting on ways to kill them without killing the coral. Iv just learned to live with them for now. Made sure i have plenty of magnesium, some phosphates and nitrates, decent flow and left them to it. Ill take some photos tomorrow when the lights are back on. If your at your wits end id start dipping every 4-6 days. Dipping reduced the numbers for me and my final plan was going to be high strength dips every 4 -6 days for 5 weeks.

I just leave them alone now and touch wood the torches although not as happy as they could be, they are doing ok.

ab-774819

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a FW dip on 3 of my torches and they did not handle it well... UGH!!
What helped mine were getting it in some decent flow. Dipping was useless. 2 lads at my LFS are experimenting on ways to kill them without killing the coral. Iv just learned to live with them for now. Made sure i have plenty of magnesium, some phosphates and nitrates, decent flow and left them to it. Ill take some photos tomorrow when the lights are back on. If your at your wits end id start dipping every 4-6 days. Dipping reduced the numbers for me and my final plan was going to be high strength dips every 4 -6 days for 5 weeks.

I just leave them alone now and touch wood the torches although not as happy as they could be, they are doing ok.
What dip would you recommend? I just did a freshwater dip for 1 minute on 3 of my torches and they're looking rough now.... I'll raise my mag to 1500 and increase my flow. Thank you for responding!

Gavin Noy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a FW dip on 3 of my torches and they did not handle it well... UGH!!

What dip would you recommend? I just did a freshwater dip for 1 minute on 3 of my torches and they're looking rough now.... I'll raise my mag to 1500 and increase my flow. Thank you for responding!
I mixed reef primer and coral rx, done at slightly higher concentrations for 10 minutes wilst gently blowing dip onto all the polyps the entire time. Didnt dare try fresh water read it wipes out torch corals alot of the time.

What treatments have you tried?

ab-774819

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed reef primer and coral rx, done at slightly higher concentrations for 10 minutes wilst gently blowing dip onto all the polyps the entire time. Didnt dare try fresh water read it wipes out torch corals alot of the time.

What treatments have you tried?
I've tried reef dip (iodine), reef primer, and now a FW dip. I just called my vet and asked if they'd give me a RX for interceptor but I have to take my dog in first and get a heartworm test done. I'm going to do that next Monday (my next day off work) and hopefully be done with this once and for all.

Gavin Noy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried reef dip (iodine), reef primer, and now a FW dip. I just called my vet and asked if they'd give me a RX for interceptor but I have to take my dog in first and get a heartworm test done. I'm going to do that next Monday (my next day off work) and hopefully be done with this once and for all.
Yeah i cant get that in the uk i dont think so just hoping for the best. Let me know how you get on.

ab-774819

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i cant get that in the uk i dont think so just hoping for the best. Let me know how you get on.
I will definitely update, I'd hate for someone else to have to deal with this and have nowhere to turn. Genuinely thank you for responding. I've felt helpless and knowing someone else has delt with this has helped a lot.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back