White Euphyllia bugs

TandysTandk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Fairly new to the forum but I'm having some issues with a few of my torch coral. It appears I'm having some kind of infestation of white euphyllia bugs that started appearing on a few of my torch coral around a month back.

The tank is just about a year old and I'm using a Apex system so all the perimeters are in check so the torches retracting shouldnt have any association with that. I've tried multiple different coral dips such as revive and coral Rx but it doesn't appear to have any impact on the bugs. The bugs themselves are white and not transparent with a much rounder shape to them. I've found multiple other discussion board regarding similar bugs but they are rather outdated and the treatments similar to be extreme.

From what I have found on the internet the only treatment is interceptor ( a prescription dog medication used to prevents heartworm disease and treats and controls adult roundworm, hookworm, whipworm, and tapeworm infections). Like I previously mentioned this treatment method seems a bit extreme but I'm open to it if it means I can save my coral. I was hoping one of you might have some insight on these critters and hopefully an alternative method of treatment.

What's more interesting is only a few of the torch coral appear to have these "white bugs" on them. I have a total of six different torches along side multiple other hammer, and frog spawn coral. Only three of the torches appear to have these bugs on them

These white bugs are rather quick in movement and dont release from the coral very easily as I've tried to blow them off in the hopes of letting other fish things in the tank take care of them.

Attachments

• coral.zip
    20.3 MB · Views: 186
Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TandysTandk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1661354163197.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guessing they are just copepods but do you see any negative affects to your corals?

OP
OP
T

TandysTandk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guessing they are just copepods but do you see any negative affects to your corals?
At first that what I thought as well, but the longer I monitored the three torches that have these white bugs on them the more they retracted and started to get worse. If they were copepods wouldnt they die off from dips? I have three other torches that dont have these bugs on them and they are thriving.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first that what I thought as well, but the longer I monitored the three torches that have these white bugs on them the more they retracted and started to get worse. If they were copepods wouldnt they die off from dips? I have three other torches that dont have these bugs on them and they are thriving.
I would think they would die but copepods are not eating corals per se. They might be eating micro algae build up on the corals. There are euphylia eating flatworms which they also could be and they should die with dips but you need to manually remove the eggs or they come back quick.

Get a 6 line wrasse and call it a day.

OP
OP
T

TandysTandk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think they would die but copepods are not eating corals per se. They might be eating micro algae build up on the corals. There are euphylia eating flatworms which they also could be and they should die with dips but you need to manually remove the eggs or they come back quick.

Get a 6 line wrasse and call it a day.
If they were copepods wouldnt they also die off in dip? These dont seem to be phased by any of the dips I've been using.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Rx and revive
I'm not sure either of those are really aimed (best) at pest removal though.

I use melafix pond for pests, followed by a dip in revive. Melafix will knock off the bugs better than revive does.

Might want to try that before hitting the whole tank with the interceptor.

Melafix is cheap and can be found at places like petco, petsmart, chewy, or lots of smaller local pets shops. might be worth a shot.

OP
OP
T

TandysTandk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure either of those are really aimed (best) at pest removal though.

I use melafix pond for pests, followed by a dip in revive. Melafix will knock off the bugs better than revive does.

Might want to try that before hitting the whole tank with the interceptor.

Melafix is cheap and can be found at places like petco, petsmart, chewy, or lots of smaller local pets shops. might be worth a shot.
Ordering it right now

TiggerMillions

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just found them on my torch... They r not pods and definitely harming the coral. You can confirm by using a blue light after the lights r out. Shine at base of the coral where the flesh are, you may see tiny fluorescent bugs crawling. They r similar to asterina stars that munch on zoa zooxanthellae and takes on its color. You will see the same with these. Dipping on conventional dips doesn't seem to get rid of them. I am waiting on the interceptor...

Dule T&T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found them on my torch... They r not pods and definitely harming the coral. You can confirm by using a blue light after the lights r out. Shine at base of the coral where the flesh are, you may see tiny fluorescent bugs crawling. They r similar to asterina stars that munch on zoa zooxanthellae and takes on its color. You will see the same with these. Dipping on conventional dips doesn't seem to get rid of them. I am waiting on the interceptor...

Is there any alternative to Interceptor for people outside of the US who don't have the access to that medication?

Gavin Noy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Fairly new to the forum but I'm having some issues with a few of my torch coral. It appears I'm having some kind of infestation of white euphyllia bugs that started appearing on a few of my torch coral around a month back.

The tank is just about a year old and I'm using a Apex system so all the perimeters are in check so the torches retracting shouldnt have any association with that. I've tried multiple different coral dips such as revive and coral Rx but it doesn't appear to have any impact on the bugs. The bugs themselves are white and not transparent with a much rounder shape to them. I've found multiple other discussion board regarding similar bugs but they are rather outdated and the treatments similar to be extreme.

From what I have found on the internet the only treatment is interceptor ( a prescription dog medication used to prevents heartworm disease and treats and controls adult roundworm, hookworm, whipworm, and tapeworm infections). Like I previously mentioned this treatment method seems a bit extreme but I'm open to it if it means I can save my coral. I was hoping one of you might have some insight on these critters and hopefully an alternative method of treatment.

What's more interesting is only a few of the torch coral appear to have these "white bugs" on them. I have a total of six different torches along side multiple other hammer, and frog spawn coral. Only three of the torches appear to have these bugs on them

These white bugs are rather quick in movement and dont release from the coral very easily as I've tried to blow them off in the hopes of letting other fish things in the tank take care of them.
Any updates i have the same issue 4 dips in???

ab-774819

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just made a new post about these. I've found them on a tiger torch and a hammer. The torch seems to be more effected. I've just dipped in reef primer but can still see them immediately after the dip. How would one go about getting interceptor? With it being a prescription I'm assuming you'd have to take a dog to the vet?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back