White Gorgonian ID? Info Please.

PapaDragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would think after five years in the hobby I would have the impulse buy out of my system, but no I did it again. Went to my LFS saw a type of gorgonian I've never seen, but in my defense I did ask if it was photosynthetic. The kid working was honest and said he wasn't 100% sure, but thought it was. Next thing you know I'm $40 poorer with a bucket of saltwater and a new gorgonian. I expected to come home google some care info on my new find, but to my surprise nothing. I have no idea if it's even photosynthetic. So I lean once again on my R2R brothers and sisters for help.

DSCN0804.jpg
DSCN0805.jpg
DSCN0806.jpg
DSCN0807.jpg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I could help, but if you're going to make an impulse buy, you did well...that is a really pretty piece. Good luck with it.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks bleached to me but I am not even close to knowledgeable on them. #Reefsquad

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had non-photosynthetic and still have photosynthetic one. The later is purple with brown polyps. I must say other than knowing. Other than colors they looked exactly alike. The only difference was the non-photosynthetic one only had polyps out when i was feeding. The photosynthetic had polyps out all the time and had more polyps per square inch. I know not a reliable way. But even the photosynthetic one needed to be fed, just not as often. Think even photosynthetic types are not very good at producing enough from light alone.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that Gorgonia with white polyps are non-photosynthetic filter feeders and brown polyps are photosynthetic.

OP
OP
PapaDragon

PapaDragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had non-photosynthetic and still have photosynthetic one. The later is purple with brown polyps. I must say other than knowing. Other than colors they looked exactly alike. The only difference was the non-photosynthetic one only had polyps out when i was feeding. The photosynthetic had polyps out all the time and had more polyps per square inch. I know not a reliable way. But even the photosynthetic one needed to be fed, just not as often. Think even photosynthetic types are not very good at producing enough from light alone.

Thank you fr the reply. Assuming it needs to be fed is Phytofeast a good choice?

Zoolife xD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure the species but it is not bleached, most gorgonians don't show bleaching the way other corals do, they just tend to lose their outer tissue as it eaves behind the brown/black skeleton rod that supports their soft tissue. If is has white polyps it is non photosynthetic, photosynthetic polyps have some sort of color to them that is actually derived from the zooxanthellae, if the polyps are white they lack the photosynthetic zooxanthellae and will need to be fed for it to receive all of its nutrition.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back