White Hair Algae Overruning my tank

cbleehk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have this overrunning all surfaces receiving lights. It’s grown since about two weeks ago to this. I’m wondering what it is and how I can get rid of it. Is a blackout necessary? 3days if so?

The tank is a month new and parameters are all within range. With almost zero nitrate and phosphates.

Thanks!

CDC49F77-8F0A-4EED-A1EF-A739AACC25F4.png

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it white or beige? And when you pick it up what’s the texture like? Slimy? Does it feel like it has a branch?

Are you dosing anything to the tank? Carbon?

If it’s white it looks more like a bacterial bloom to me but there are a few rare beige to whiteish algae.

#reefsquad?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the system?

I know what It is and I am trying for figure out the correct spelling. Sorry, give me a few

OP
OP
cbleehk

cbleehk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jsker @EmdeReef

It’s closer to white than beige, and yes I’m dosing carbon since early on. The tank is a month old.
I tried to dig more online and after a couple days I’m thinking it is Chrysophytes. It does look like the pictures I find and I think there are several threads that recommended different things. I’m not sure which path to take.

1) 3day blackout (id prefer this if possible)
2) feed more and dose nitrate and phosphate (I can feed more but don’t want to dose these)
3) manual siphon, cleaning with hydrogen peroxide or other chemical (avoid if I could)

I’d much prefer a method that takes patience over dosing more stuff. I’ve stopped dosing carbon and the only thing I dose is buffer since I have high Ca and Mg from the reef salt. I have a few drags that I brought over from my old nano and a few fish because I needed to move and had it taken down.

Thanks and appreciate any advice given!!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mulum I think is the spilling of what it is called.

I had the same thing and stopped dosing NOPox and the stuff went away. My system was a newer system.

OP
OP
cbleehk

cbleehk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for the record, I was away for 10 days and when I return they were gone.
I read a lot here and there and suspected it has to do with carbon dosing, so I stopped dosing my VSV in the middle of my trip and it took about 6 days for the white hair algae to disappear. What's left is a relative small film diatoms.

Before the trip, I had 0.2 NO3, 0 PO4
After: 0.5 NO3 < better than 0.2 since I only had LPS and still 0 PO4 (prob coz i use RODI)

One last question, what is it called if it were due to overdose of carbon source?

Nichmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m hoping that so one can help me? I found this thread while researching the same issue with this white and will be taking the advice I have found but I also two of these guys going out of a piece of my rock and don’t know what they are? They don’t move but they are going fairly quickly! Any ideas? Thanks
image.jpg

Cpatel36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have this overrunning all surfaces receiving lights. It’s grown since about two weeks ago to this. I’m wondering what it is and how I can get rid of it. Is a blackout necessary? 3days if so?

The tank is a month new and parameters are all within range. With almost zero nitrate and phosphates.

Thanks!
Yeah am also having the same hairlike algae in my tank.
I have 2 clownfish, a green chromis, royal gramma, some corals.
could someone explain what is going on and how i can get rid of it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 266
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 209
  • 4A420E37-CFCA-4A26-8C04-4C98F57E3E32.png
    4A420E37-CFCA-4A26-8C04-4C98F57E3E32.png
    238 KB · Views: 234

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back