PXL_20210416_000751592.jpg
PXL_20210416_000750148.MP.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Take a good look at your water quality. This looks bacterial and your Koran angel has lympho on its tail (in the pics) and generally associated with poor water quality and/or diet.
Is the bicolor eating at all (theyre not the easiest to feed)?

jser388

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bicolor tends to graze on the rocks, picking at anything he can find, his lips arnt quite as white but they are similar. when i brought him home he didn't eat a whole lot for 2-3 days until he got situated and learned when feeding time was. Now he is a pig and goes after anything he sees that i drop in the tank. as far as the dangling white thing.. my lfs had told me its a defensive spike, almost how tangs also have them.. could be misleading but i know mine also has one so it seems common sense to me..

How long have you had him?

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a good look at your water quality. This looks bacterial and your Koran angel has lympho on its tail (in the pics) and generally associated with poor water quality and/or diet.
Is the bicolor eating at all (theyre not the easiest to feed)?
Yes thats my emperor and has lympho since I bought it . The bicolor is only been 3 days. Yes it's not eating. Water quality ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 8-15ppm

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bicolor tends to graze on the rocks, picking at anything he can find, his lips arnt quite as white but they are similar. when i brought him home he didn't eat a whole lot for 2-3 days until he got situated and learned when feeding time was. Now he is a pig and goes after anything he sees that i drop in the tank. as far as the dangling white thing.. my lfs had told me its a defensive spike, almost how tangs also have them.. could be misleading but i know mine also has one so it seems common sense to me..

How long have you had him?
I only had him for 3 days

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes thats my emperor and has lympho since I bought it . The bicolor is only been 3 days. Yes it's not eating. Water quality ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 8-15ppm
What test kits are you using?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I used both api and red sea
I asked as you are probably getting zero ammonia and zero to low on nitrates and using API for those - Yes ?
As I mentioned water quality, i suspect they are higher than test results are showing. API is notorious for false reading and this may be the case and as with many reefers, you are assuming all good, and in essence, higher than you realize.
I would take a water sample to a trusted LFS who does not use API kits and have them test for you and see what readings they come up with

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked as you are probably getting zero ammonia and zero to low on nitrates and using API for those - Yes ?
As I mentioned water quality, i suspect they are higher than test results are showing. API is notorious for false reading and this may be the case and as with many reefers, you are assuming all good, and in essence, higher than you realize.
I would take a water sample to a trusted LFS who does not use API kits and have them test for you and see what readings they come up with
So when I had doubt I took it to lfs they used salifer and it was all zeroes

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is fairly new only 7 weeks old did a fish less cycle before that everything is fine until I added that bicolor . Was a mistake . All other fish are eating well

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My tank is fairly new only 7 weeks old did a fish less cycle before that everything is fine until I added that bicolor . Was a mistake . All other fish are eating well
Bicolor is a very difficult fish. I owned a pet store for 12 years and of about 20 i sold, maybe one ate. The Bicolor Angelfish has a reputation as being difficult to keep and are deemed not as hardy as some of the other dwarf angels and It may depend on the location these angelfish are coming from because some of the fish collectors may have questionable collecting practices. With that little tidbit in mind you may want to take some extra time when acclimating them to your tank. Only add them to well-established tanks, . . . preferably an aquarium that has been setup up for at least 6 months. They can be aggressive with others, especially other dwarf marine angelfishes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bicolor is a very difficult fish. I owned a pet store for 12 years and of maybe 20 i sold, maybe one ate. The Bicolor Angelfish has a reputation as being difficult to keep and are deemed not as hardy as some of the other dwarf angels and It may depend on the location these angelfish are coming from because some of the fish collectors may have questionable collecting practices. With that little tidbit in mind you may want to take some extra time when acclimating them to your tank. Only add them to well-established tanks, . . . preferably an aquarium that has been setup up for at least 6 months. They can be aggressive with others, especially other dwarf marine angelfishes.
Yup you are right I made a mistake... my coral beauty and flame angel are very good but I got obsessed with the Bicolor angels color hoping it would work newbie mistake... I tried ot catch him but its difficult from a 220 gallon tank .

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would list myself as “fairly good” at keeping fish. But I tried twice and couldn’t keep my Bicolors alive. I don’t think I’ll try one again... I will have to just admire from afar. I hope yours works out well for you in the long run.

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would list myself as “fairly good” at keeping fish. But I tried twice and couldn’t keep my Bicolors alive. I don’t think I’ll try one again... I will have to just admire from afar. I hope yours works out well for you in the long run.
I don't think so looks like he will die tonite

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back