White Long Moving Dots

SimplisticDesign

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, there’s a million post out there similar to mine, but my tank is approaching the 3 and a half mark and I have not introduced any copepods or anything like this into my tank.

The only things I have introduced is:

one colony of zoas
Magnificent Anemone
Blue hammer
Two occo clowns
Hermit Crab
Mexican Turbo snail

The issue is that, all of these have been in my tank for the past month besides the anemone; and I rescued the anemone from a bad pet store. The only big change, recently is that I have borrowed a UV sterilizer from my LFS, but it’s been out of the water for a week, so im not sure if the copepods or whatever it is would survive, and even if then, UV sterilizers kill copepods right?

The whole back of my ATO is covered, I’d say thousands of them, and that’s not even on the glass. Just noticed this an hour ago.

Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_2978.mov
    23.7 MB
Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, there’s a million post out there similar to mine, but my tank is approaching the 3 and a half mark and I have not introduced any copepods or anything like this into my tank.

one colony of zoas
Magnificent Anemone
Blue hammer
Two occo clowns
Hermit Crab
Mexican Turbo snail

The issue is that, all of these have been in my tank for the past month besides the anemone; and I rescued the anemone from a bad pet store. The only big change, recently is that I have borrowed a UV sterilizer from my LFS, but it’s been out of the water for a week, so im not sure if the copepods or whatever it is would survive, and even if then, UV sterilizers kill copepods right?

The whole back of my ATO is covered, I’d say thousands of them, and that’s not even on the glass. Just noticed this an hour ago.

Anyone have any ideas?
Retry your picture.

OP
OP
S

SimplisticDesign

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 71885864886__7852E844-F7A3-4803-B35D-C7BFC1846186.MOV
    589.6 KB

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

one colony of zoas
Magnificent Anemone
Blue hammer
Two occo clowns
Hermit Crab
Mexican Turbo snail

Anyone have any ideas?
Can't tell from your picture. Needs to be up close and in-focus. Do a google search on ghost flatworms. May be it.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are definitely copepods. Pods will come in on anything... Most likely from the frags. Nothing wrong with having them and their population will depend on food supply. They eat algae so you'll probably always have some.

Sign of a healthy tank :)

OP
OP
S

SimplisticDesign

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are definitely copepods. Pods will come in on anything... Most likely from the frags. Nothing wrong with having them and their population will depend on food supply. They eat algae so you'll probably always have some.

Sign of a healthy tank :)
Interesting, how come they just popped up today? I have been fathering the tank and I’m at it like I work at a fish store and never seen them. All my parameters have been the same…

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, how come they just popped up today? I have been fathering the tank and I’m at it like I work at a fish store and never seen them. All my parameters have been the same…
Fathering?
Do you mean running fallow? If so, there's your answer. No predators and they finally multiplied and reached a point where you noticed them. (Same answer if you're not running fallow ;) )

OP
OP
S

SimplisticDesign

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fathering?
Do you mean running fallow? If so, there's your answer. No predators and they finally multiplied and reached a point where you noticed them. (Same answer if you're not running fallow ;) )
Haha no not fallowing ! This tank is my literal child and I spend at least a 4 hours a day looking at it. Just weird how they suddenly popped up out of no where, I kid you not yesterday the back of the AIO back was Crystal clear

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha no not fallowing ! This tank is my literal child and I spend at least a 4 hours a day looking at it. Just weird how they suddenly popped up out of no where, I kid you not yesterday the back of the AIO back was Crystal clear
It's just a bloom often easier to notice in a newer tank. The majority of them won't make the cut and be gone in a few days.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 151 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back