White Mold or Fungus growing under reef rocks

KirstenB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Need assistance. Been struggling with this Red Sea reefer 250 tank for up to 2 years. Admittedly had not been taking care of ut til the last few months. I have been battling cyanobacteria for a year and was told to add more flow, do weekly water changes and start to add corals to help with this. So I've been doing just that. The cyano is getting better. Some corals Ive had for awhile but they do not grow. I've added quite a few but GSP won't open now and Candy cane coral is dying as well. For a long while I couldnt keep hermits alive when parameters were perfect. The tank sits below 3 windows which I can do nothing about as well. So my question is this. I've noticed whitish clear fuzz a couple of millimeters thick on the underside of all the reef rocks. I cannot blow it off and scrubbing it off would be impossible without taking the tank apart which I do not want to do.

I have a Kessil 700 at 20 percent max for 6 hours. I have a IceKap 3000 (i think) at 20% max random flow as anymore blows up the sand too much.

Salinity 1.025
Temp 77 deg
Calcium 450
Phosphates .07
Nitrates. 05
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
Magnesium??
PH 8.2
Alkalinity 10

Just added carbon again in a baggie in filter socks.

Removed Phosguard as was sure this is what killed my corals at the time.

Think that about cuts it. Ty for any and all help

Struggling tank mom,
Kirsten
20190513_174227.jpeg
20190513_174238.jpeg
20190513_174403.jpeg
20190512_171043.jpeg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kirsten,

Going by your last photo:
Are you sure it not some kind of sponge growth?

If it is sponge, then that's a good thing to have.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking it may be a sponge as well.

As far as the cyano goes, that’s a long fight !

What are your major parameters?

OP
OP
KirstenB

KirstenB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty for your replies. Definitely not sponge as its all over the bottom of any rock not exposed to light and this was life rock not live rock. Its a white furry film. I have noticed mildew also at the top of the tank for the sump return hosing as well come to think of it. Like actual white mold.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds more like a bacterial film on the glass. My white sponges typically grow in very dim or shaded areas

OP
OP
KirstenB

KirstenB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP and candy cane corals bouncing back. Still have the mold looking stuff though. Just has me scratching my head.

OP
OP
KirstenB

KirstenB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any developments?

Still have the mold or white fuzz growing under the rocks. Euphillia are all dying and some of my Lord Acans are as well. Parameters are fine. Just scratching my head. Going to do more searching on here to see what can help.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To hijack a bit here... I've got this grey looking mold growing between two marko rocks on some reefcrest white epoxy. It looks like a mold on a sandwich - grey, long thin fibers about an inch long emanating from a point, etc.

I removed the rock and dropped hydrogen peroxide... then vinegar... but it came back 2 weeks later.

Any ideas?!

Grey mold, Image I.JPG Grey mold, Image II.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty for your replies. Definitely not sponge as its all over the bottom of any rock not exposed to light and this was life rock not live rock. Its a white furry film. I have noticed mildew also at the top of the tank for the sump return hosing as well come to think of it. Like actual white mold.

Are you sure all sponges are photosynthetic? Do you access to a microscope?

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To hijack a bit here... I've got this grey looking mold growing between two marko rocks on some reefcrest white epoxy. It looks like a mold on a sandwich - grey, long thin fibers about an inch long emanating from a point, etc.

I removed the rock and dropped hydrogen peroxide... then vinegar... but it came back 2 weeks later.

Any ideas?!

Grey mold, Image I.JPG Grey mold, Image II.jpg
Sponge

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect you are looking at the white epoxy? The black/grey algae is on the white epoxy in the central crevice in the middle of the photo. It honestly looks like a black beard algae I just stumbled across online. There seems to be a paucity of information on this one in the reefing world - at least that I can find.

Still thinking it's a sponge? Here's a Google photo of what it looks like. Fuzzy like mold on a sandwich really.

I'm probably going to remove the rock today and apply some localized boiling water to it w/ some acid.

Black algae.jpeg

Johnnyrainbowreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still have the mold or white fuzz growing under the rocks. Euphillia are all dying and some of my Lord Acans are as well. Parameters are fine. Just scratching my head. Going to do more searching on here to see what can help.
Did you ever get rid of it? I’m going through the exact same thing. Thank you.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back