White precipitate in my salt mix Brute

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 32g Brute trash can for mixing salt. Started using recently HW-Marine Reefer Salt mix. 1st 2 batches were in can for 2+ weeks with no precipitation inside. This last batch was made about a week ago and there is white precip. all over inside. Don't understand what happened. Bought salt mix from BRS ( which they recommend). Use RO/DI water ( 5 stage from BRS) = 0TDS output. Also use 2 small powerheads to circulate the water and keep temp around 76degrees.
I just started reef tank recently and 1st used Kent Marine Reef salt mix but that left a thick coating of white precip. in brute can and read on this forum and others that HW-M. reefer salt doesn't.
Anyone recommend any other salt mixes ( mixed reef tank) that don't leave white precip. after mixing?

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you leave saltwater to evaporate, what's left behind? The precipitate is likely some combination of what's in the mix after the water on the side is evaporate.

I personally don't think you'll find a salt ever that doesn't precipitate a little considering it's water with a homogenous mixture of solids. I think you could limit it by not heating the water while you mix it...and only heat it when you're ready to add it.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @wesman42 for replying so quickly . I have a (pretty tight) cover on brute can and lose practically none from evaporation. Plus like I mentioned in beginning 1st 2 batches with same cover no precipitation, only on this 3rd batch. That's what confuses me - if there was maybe a tiny bit evaporation on 1st 2 batches why no white precip? Plus forgot to mention the white precip runs all the way down to the bottom of the can

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @wesman42 for replying so quickly . I have a (pretty tight) cover on brute can and lose practically none from evaporation. Plus like I mentioned in beginning 1st 2 batches with same cover no precipitation, only on this 3rd batch. That's what confuses me - if there was maybe a tiny bit evaporation on 1st 2 batches why no white precip? Plus forgot to mention the white precip runs all the way down to the bottom of the can
Also I'll try not heating it until ready to use. Thanks for the tip. BTW what salt mix do u use?

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I'll try not heating it until ready to use. Thanks for the tip. BTW what salt mix do u use?
I use regular instant ocean because I dose 2 part...but also do water changes regularly.
That is confusing, but it's possible that something is still precipitating to the plastic underwater and that it has nothing to do with evaporation. I'm just trying to help figure this out as well...the only time I've had a residue was with reef crystals and it was after the water was gone from the mixing container.

Were all 3 batches from the same batch of salt? I'm at a loss on this one really, because whatever it is, it's coming from the salt. As far as why the inconsistency....not too sure.

kristinarenee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use IO reef crystals and same thing happens if I leave it too long. I now make sure I only mix a day or two before I use it. Mines not the evaporated salt but more like flakes of solid white calcium buildup on the heater and pump that comes off and floates around the water.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use regular instant ocean because I dose 2 part...but also do water changes regularly.That is confusing, but it's possible that something is still precipitating to the plastic underwater and that it has nothing to do with evaporation. I'm just trying to help figure this out as well...the only time I've had a residue was with reef crystals and it was after the water was gone from the mixing container.

Were all 3 batches from the same batch of salt? I'm at a loss on this one really, because whatever it is, it's coming from the salt. As far as why the inconsistency....not too sure.
Yes all 3 from same batch. One big 58lb plastic bag!

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use IO reef crystals and same thing happens if I leave it too long. I now make sure I only mix a day or two before I use it. Mines not the evaporated salt but more like flakes of solid white calcium buildup on the heater and pump that comes off and floates around the water.
Mine is not "flakes". It's more like a white somewhat thick slime.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 176 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back