White Slime During Cycle

djm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I’m currently cycling my first saltwater tank, Fluval Flex Marine 60 litre. I’ve had freshwater for several years and wanted to get in saltwater aquariums.

I’ve been cycling for a week so far, on day one I dosed with Microbe-Lift Special Blend and Ammonia.

The tank became very cloudy for around 3-4 days which had now cleared but all my rock has developed a white slime over it. The rock I used was Ecoreef artificial rock so no live rock in the tank.

many advice what this is and how to deal with it?

many thanks

DE1DB417-75FE-467F-804F-DEE63BCEC13E.jpeg

watty21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's all part of a bacterial bloom. Completely normal! But that's a good amount of white slime so I'd deal with it how you please. You can definitely scrub it off and siphon out or take the rocks out and clean. It will take longer than you want for it to go away on its own.

How much flow is on that rock?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you might want the nite out version which is the cycling bacteria. I am not sure if special blend contains cycling bacteria or if it is just a scavenging mix (which i believe it is).

OP
OP
djm

djm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's all part of a bacterial bloom. Completely normal! But that's a good amount of white slime so I'd deal with it how you please. You can definitely scrub it off and siphon out or take the rocks out and clean. It will take longer than you want for it to go away on its own.

How much flow is on that rock?
Thanks for your reply.
I only have the pump outputs directed at the rock which gives an output of 500lph. I’m going to order a power head soon to get more flow in the tank.

would you recommend waiting until the tank has finished cycling before scrubbing the slime off? It’s only been a week cycling so far.

watty21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might just come right back while you're figuring out your flow so totally up to you! Removing it won't effect the cycle. There is a chance that it is absorbing nutrients from your water though so definitely remove it before/during your next water change!

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would turn off lights until cycle is finished. No need for lights to be on for bacterial growth. Unless you have fish or coral then I would just turn lights off until you figure out what you want to do with the tank!

OP
OP
djm

djm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would turn off lights until cycle is finished. No need for lights to be on for bacterial growth. Unless you have fish or coral then I would just turn lights off until you figure out what you want to do with the tank!
I have been keeping the light off in the tank whilst it’s cycling. I only put the light on so I could get a decent picture to upload here.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back