Adding liverock to a tank during cycling

grisban

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 9, 2025
Messages
58
Reaction score
13
Location
Netherlands
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im currently cycling a tank with dry rock and live sand, and i did the shrimp method to up the ammonia until it is 2 ish ppm, while dosing microbe lift special blend.

I want to buy a (small) chunk of live rock to increase biodiversity early etc. Can a piece of liverock just be added into the display tank or do you need to treat it ? Anything else to look out for?
 
You can just add the live rock. In fact the more the better. I’m re-starting a reef and I’ll be using only live rock. The only times I added dry rock was when my system was already cycled and running for some time.
 
I bought aquacultured live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater after my cycle was completed. You just put it right in. You can look out for any hitchhikers if you care about those but otherwise put it in. I stuck mine right in right out of the buckets.
 
I bought aquacultured live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater after my cycle was completed. You just put it right in. You can look out for any hitchhikers if you care about those but otherwise put it in. I stuck mine right in right out of the buckets.

Thanks for the quick reply i will go for a trip to my lfs
 
Should definitely expedite the process as well along with hopefully coraline as well. No detriment to that. Godspeed on the new rock!
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new