White spot on Montipora

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this Monti for 4 months and it has been doing very well. I dosed Vibrant on Monday and I noticed this white mark on the Monti the next day. Might just be a coincidence but wanted to see what everyone thinks.

20191108_152713.jpg

Screenshot_20191108-204959_Gallery.jpg

20191108_152746.jpg

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a shaded area that was stressed by the Vibrant or some other factor. The shaded areas tend to be more susceptible to water chemistry changes than the areas in full light.

Can you get a better pic that's zoomed in?

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a shaded area that was stressed by the Vibrant or some other factor. The shaded areas tend to be more susceptible to water chemistry changes than the areas in full light.

Can you get a better pic that's zoomed in?

I will try and get a better picture when the lights come on. My phone isn't great at macro shots. It's hard to tell but I believe the polyps are still there and extended. They just look a little white. It is also near a piece that is splitting. Maybe that could be a reason??

My head starts rushing to the negatives with these things. Soon as I seen it I started thinking Montipora Nudis!! :)

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on that spot, doesn't look like it's from shading IMO. I wouldn't panic, at night I would go over the coral with a flashlight and look on the under the coral if you can for pests.

I was thinking the same. There are a lot of other areas that get no light and they still have great color. This spot is in a split and it happened the day after Vibrant. A couple of my corals retracted their polyps within 5 minutes of dosing Vibrant. The next day they were fine though. This is why I would be questioning Vibrant.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just thinking. I have around 6 emerald crabs. One of which molted and is now a BEAST!! I call him Tank. I did see him chilling for a couple days on the Monti around this spot. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? This picture was in the morning a week ago before lights were on. The white spots have normal color when lights come on.

20191102_101656.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Either shading as others mentioned or scratching by occupant.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just thinking. I have around 6 emerald crabs. One of which molted and is now a BEAST!! I call him Tank. I did see him chilling for a couple days on the Monti around this spot. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? This picture was in the morning a week ago before lights were on. The white spots have normal color when lights come on.

20191102_101656.jpg
In that pic you can actually see the shaded areas, its evenly dispersed. I don't trust crabs and have read issues with emeralds but I have no experience with them. I do have experience with vibrant and one tank it worked well with no issues and another tank it wreaked havoc with SPS and LPS unfortunately.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that pic you can actually see the shaded areas, its evenly dispersed. I don't trust crabs and have read issues with emeralds but I have no experience with them. I do have experience with vibrant and one tank it worked well with no issues and another tank it wreaked havoc with SPS and LPS unfortunately.

Besides the Monti everything looks normal. I am trying Vibrant to help with a Bubble Algae outbreak. What happened to your SPS when you dosed it and how long before you noticed the issues?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides the Monti everything looks normal. I am trying Vibrant to help with a Bubble Algae outbreak. What happened to your SPS when you dosed it and how long before you noticed the issues?
Bubble algae can be a pain but my wife would just manually remove it here and there. I've learned over the years to not worry about a little algae or cyano, I used to freak out when I saw it. Lol. The issues I noticed with vibrant was bleached spots to full necrosis on some acropora and the LPS looked generally upset, withdrawn. Normally all the LPS were always puffy before that. Lost some acro frags but colonies survived, lost some chalice frags too. I belie e it's just powerful stuff and with so many variables tank to tank, there will be different reactions.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble algae can be a pain but my wife would just manually remove it here and there. I've learned over the years to not worry about a little algae or cyano, I used to freak out when I saw it. Lol. The issues I noticed with vibrant was bleached spots to full necrosis on some acropora and the LPS looked generally upset, withdrawn. Normally all the LPS were always puffy before that. Lost some acro frags but colonies survived, lost some chalice frags too. I belie e it's just powerful stuff and with so many variables tank to tank, there will be different reactions.

I am in the same boat. I hate to dose anything like this and algae doesn't bother me. However, I am losing the war with bubble algae and manual removal will not cut it anymore. :-(

20191031_191200.jpg
20191031_191203.jpg
20191031_191207.jpg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have emeralds hang out in corals all the time and they never do any harm.

The most likely cause is that the shaded area (as stated above) was stressed by the vibrant, or whatever the change was made by the vibrant. It might not have been super healthy in that spot anyway if you needed to use the vibrant. Montis are indestructible tanks with good water quality and stable parameters, but these tanks do not often need vibrant, or the like.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 53.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 53.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • None.

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%

Back