White spots on blenny and gobie

  • Thread starter Thread starter pouesson
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

pouesson

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 20, 2025
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
Location
Montréal
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have noticed a pale spot on my bicolor benny 7 days ago (see first picture). I first thought it was an injury from getting in the rocks because the fins looked a bit damaged/shredded. Now, the spot is lower (see pic 2&3) and he has some on his other side; fins are now fine. I also noticed that my YWG has a whiter/grey spot on one side (see pic 4).
Both fish are eating well.
Have to mention that my long nose hawkfish died last week, without any sign of disease (at least to my beginner eye).
Tank is 10months old. I have had the blenny for 7 months and the gobie for 1-2 months (after being in QT for 1month). My 6 other fish seem okay.

Do I need to take them out an treat them?

20ab2646-2d80-4c71-88d7-9a309a7be300.jpeg f40ea58c-338a-48c4-b97a-f5475b5d1d1d.jpeg 3fee2d70-5e56-4a59-a502-c98eedaf70a1.jpeg e541e438-7935-4f6f-a3ae-380d6bc89fa1.jpeg
 
Hi, I have noticed a pale spot on my bicolor benny 7 days ago (see first picture). I first thought it was an injury from getting in the rocks because the fins looked a bit damaged/shredded. Now, the spot is lower (see pic 2&3) and he has some on his other side; fins are now fine. I also noticed that my YWG has a whiter/grey spot on one side (see pic 4).
Both fish are eating well.
Have to mention that my long nose hawkfish died last week, without any sign of disease (at least to my beginner eye).
Tank is 10months old. I have had the blenny for 7 months and the gobie for 1-2 months (after being in QT for 1month). My 6 other fish seem okay.

Do I need to take them out an treat them?

20ab2646-2d80-4c71-88d7-9a309a7be300.jpeg f40ea58c-338a-48c4-b97a-f5475b5d1d1d.jpeg 3fee2d70-5e56-4a59-a502-c98eedaf70a1.jpeg e541e438-7935-4f6f-a3ae-380d6bc89fa1.jpeg
Looks like scrape/rash marks from injury as these fish dart quickly into rocks and crevices and should be treated in a separate tank for prevention of bacterial issue using seachem Neoplex. There is also presence of dots on blenny which could be grains of sand but look at fish tomorrow and see if gone. Ich starts as dots and will multiply on fish each 24 hours
 
Upvote 0
Hi, I have noticed a pale spot on my bicolor benny 7 days ago (see first picture). I first thought it was an injury from getting in the rocks because the fins looked a bit damaged/shredded. Now, the spot is lower (see pic 2&3) and he has some on his other side; fins are now fine. I also noticed that my YWG has a whiter/grey spot on one side (see pic 4).
Both fish are eating well.
Have to mention that my long nose hawkfish died last week, without any sign of disease (at least to my beginner eye).
Tank is 10months old. I have had the blenny for 7 months and the gobie for 1-2 months (after being in QT for 1month). My 6 other fish seem okay.

Do I need to take them out an treat them?

20ab2646-2d80-4c71-88d7-9a309a7be300.jpeg f40ea58c-338a-48c4-b97a-f5475b5d1d1d.jpeg 3fee2d70-5e56-4a59-a502-c98eedaf70a1.jpeg e541e438-7935-4f6f-a3ae-380d6bc89fa1.jpeg

I'm not sure that the 3 fish have/had the same issues. I don't think these are scrapes from the substrate - all three of these fish are bottom dwellers and are well adapted to living in and around sharp rocks.

The goby has an ulcerative bacterial skin disease that this type of fish is known to get in captivity. It is difficult to treat - but you could try a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic such as Neoplex or Kanaplex.

The blenny could have skin flukes.
 
Upvote 0
I'm not sure that the 3 fish have/had the same issues. I don't think these are scrapes from the substrate - all three of these fish are bottom dwellers and are well adapted to living in and around sharp rocks.

The goby has an ulcerative bacterial skin disease that this type of fish is known to get in captivity. It is difficult to treat - but you could try a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic such as Neoplex or Kanaplex.

The blenny could have skin flukes.
Looks like scrape/rash marks from injury as these fish dart quickly into rocks and crevices and should be treated in a separate tank for prevention of bacterial issue using seachem Neoplex. There is also presence of dots on blenny which could be grains of sand but look at fish tomorrow and see if gone. Ich starts as dots and will multiply on fish each 24 hours
Thank you so much for the quick answer.
First time for me to deal with fish disease; I now see on my LFS website and on forums that all fish medications are banned in Canada 😭
API Melafix and Prazi-met from AquaCura are available on amazon; are they equivalent to Neoplex and Prazipro?
I will try FW dips to see if my blenny has flukes. If it is confirmed but I cannot access medication, should I put him in QT?

thanks again
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you so much for the quick answer.
First time for me to deal with fish disease; I now see on my LFS website and on forums that all fish medications are banned in Canada 😭
API Melafix and Prazi-met from AquaCura are available on amazon; are they equivalent to Neoplex and Prazipro?
I will try FW dips to see if my blenny has flukes. If it is confirmed but I cannot access medication, should I put him in QT?

thanks again
Neither will work, You may have access to Ruby rally Pro otherwise check with Canadian fish vet or pets drug mart in Ontario and Montreal
 
Upvote 0
Thank you so much for the quick answer.
First time for me to deal with fish disease; I now see on my LFS website and on forums that all fish medications are banned in Canada 😭
API Melafix and Prazi-met from AquaCura are available on amazon; are they equivalent to Neoplex and Prazipro?
I will try FW dips to see if my blenny has flukes. If it is confirmed but I cannot access medication, should I put him in QT?

thanks again

Ugh, I missed seeing that you are in Canada. Getting real fish medications is very difficult in your country, and most options to do so are technically illegal.

Melafix is a tonic, not a true antibiotic, that's whey they are able to sell it in Canada. Oddly, "Prazi-Met" is the same as "General Cure" in the US, and that cannot be sold in Canada, so my guess is that "Prazi-Met" is just being sold "under the radar". That product would work for any fluke issues though. You can't use it in a tank with invertebrates though.
 
Upvote 0
Neither will work, You may have access to Ruby rally Pro otherwise check with Canadian fish vet or pets drug mart in Ontario and Montreal
Ugh, I missed seeing that you are in Canada. Getting real fish medications is very difficult in your country, and most options to do so are technically illegal.

Melafix is a tonic, not a true antibiotic, that's whey they are able to sell it in Canada. Oddly, "Prazi-Met" is the same as "General Cure" in the US, and that cannot be sold in Canada, so my guess is that "Prazi-Met" is just being sold "under the radar". That product would work for any fluke issues though. You can't use it in a tank with invertebrates though.
Hi again,
So, little update and following question;
After you suggested skin flukes, I observed closely my fish, and I saw little moving bumps on 3 of them (blenny, YWG and firefish). I got the Ruby Rally Pro. I wanted to treat in QT, but I could not catch my blenny, and since the product is reef safe, I did it in my main tank.
I have been using Ruby Rally Pro for the past 5 days, and I still can see flukes here and there on these 3 fish (but no more big pale spot/shredded fin). All 3 are still eating well, blenny and firefish are sometimes scratching, but no other change in their behaviour.
Should I continue to put RubyRally in my tank until I don't see flukes anymore? Or should I try Prazimet? (with Prazimet, I could put my snails and corals in my QT because I don't have a lot of them).

Thank you again so much for your help.
 
Upvote 0
Hi again,
So, little update and following question;
After you suggested skin flukes, I observed closely my fish, and I saw little moving bumps on 3 of them (blenny, YWG and firefish). I got the Ruby Rally Pro. I wanted to treat in QT, but I could not catch my blenny, and since the product is reef safe, I did it in my main tank.
I have been using Ruby Rally Pro for the past 5 days, and I still can see flukes here and there on these 3 fish (but no more big pale spot/shredded fin). All 3 are still eating well, blenny and firefish are sometimes scratching, but no other change in their behaviour.
Should I continue to put RubyRally in my tank until I don't see flukes anymore? Or should I try Prazimet? (with Prazimet, I could put my snails and corals in my QT because I don't have a lot of them).

Thank you again so much for your help.

Ruby Reef Rally Pro is not strong enough to treat flukes.

You’d need to try the prazi met with the invertebrates removed for 30 days.

Timing is tricky for redosing prazi - the bottle instructions may be wrong (they are for general cure, the product they are copying).

Here is some info;
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dosing-praziquantel-pzq.1105700/
 
Upvote 0
He was eating and swimming like normal yesterday today found him dead with some white speckles on sides of body 😔
1000035724.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new