White spots on Blue Damsel

JKTrail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new tank that is setup and cycled about 4 weeks ago. All water parameters are on point. My little blue damsel is getting along just fine and eats well. I notice a couple of larger white spots on only one side of her. She may have had these spots all along, but I just noticed them yesterday. She seems perfectly happy otherwise.

Any ideas?

20220407_144922494_iOS.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a new tank that is setup and cycled about 4 weeks ago. All water parameters are on point. My little blue damsel is getting along just fine and eats well. I notice a couple of larger white spots on only one side of her. She may have had these spots all along, but I just noticed them yesterday. She seems perfectly happy otherwise.

Any ideas?

This appears to be a viral issue known as lymphocystis
Before concluding it is, observe the fish and after 24-36 hours if it’s the same 2 dots, we know not ich which is rarely 2 dots anyway
For lymphocystis, the remedy is simple;
Maintain good water quality and diet and assure no elevated ammonia
What test kits are you using?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any ideas?

Picture is a bit out of focus (getting fish shots is tough, I know). What other fish are in with it? This looks like a couple of missing scales to me.

Jay

OP
OP
J

JKTrail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This appears to be a viral issue known as lymphocystis
Before concluding it is, observe the fish and after 24-36 hours if it’s the same 2 dots, we know not ich which is rarely 2 dots anyway
For lymphocystis, the remedy is simple;
Maintain good water quality and diet and assure no elevated ammonia
What test kits are you using?
Oh that's good news. I thought they looked a little bigger than Ich and they are flat as well. I use the Hanna digital kits as well as Red Sea. Yeah ammonia and nitrite are zero from 2 different kits. Nitrate at 5.

OP
OP
J

JKTrail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture is a bit out of focus (getting fish shots is tough, I know). What other fish are in with it? This looks like a couple of missing scales to me.

Jay
Yeah, I kept telling her to sit still for the camera, but she didn't listen lol. Only other fish is a clownfish, but they are best buddies. They swim everywhere together, and I haven't seen any aggression at all from the clown. I know clowns can be real jerks, but so far, this one is nice.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back