White spots on Favia?

BrittBrittKaiz

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 21, 2021
Messages
253
Reaction score
438
Location
Lafayette, Louisiana
What state or country do you live in
Louisiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this favia Wednesday, and today I noticed some white spots through the coral. It’s in plenty of flow and light.

temp is at 76, nitrates at 0, and salinity at 1.026

i dipped it in some lugols solution for a few minutes, rinsed with RODI water, and it looks a little better? Opinions? What is this?

16904377-2D05-4148-855A-D2510BB47926.jpeg

^^ this is before the dip

574C0993-51DB-450F-AF9A-07AF2F6FC505.jpeg

^^ after
 
I got this favia Wednesday, and today I noticed some white spots through the coral. It’s in plenty of flow and light.

temp is at 76, nitrates at 0, and salinity at 1.026

i dipped it in some lugols solution for a few minutes, rinsed with RODI water, and it looks a little better? Opinions? What is this?

16904377-2D05-4148-855A-D2510BB47926.jpeg

^^ this is before the dip

574C0993-51DB-450F-AF9A-07AF2F6FC505.jpeg

^^ after
Honestly, it looks better in the before photo. Personally, I'd let it ride for a bit. In either photo, it doesn't look bad. Often, we intervene when there is no need to do so and end up causing more issues than we perceive a need to correct.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new