White spots on monti

johnnycamp5

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 14, 2024
Messages
240
Reaction score
93
Location
Woodbridge
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefaholics…

Literally overnight, one morning our forest fire digi looked like this with new,
bare white spots all along it’s branches

The tank did go one whole day without any lighting because of a fail on a firmware UI update
Only some ambient light through the nearby windows

Can’t imagine this is from one day without the reef lights.
Maybe this is those Monty eating nudibranchs we hear about?

It’s been growing great since I got it months ago, I’d hate to see it lost

Up until this,
the only white parts were on the ends of the tips of the branches, which I assumed was just growth

IMG_7131.jpeg IMG_7132.jpeg
 
I'm sorry to say its sloughing off tissue, what some call STN / sudden tissue necrosis. given that you mention you've had it for months and it has not encrusted the frag plug its likely just been limping along, either lighting, flow or nutrients need adjusting. The euphyllia (?) to its right also doesnt look to be having a good time. I have had some luck in the past using superglue (cyanoacrylate) on the margins of the live tissue to prevent further tissue loss, but thats only treating the symptoms not the cause.
 
Bummer

It never encrusted the frag plug,
but it definitely grew up and out.

When new It was 1/4 this size, with only two little arms…so it has grown a lot
 
Yes, the euphylia to it’s right was also bigger than it is now
This is in a tank where a large elegance coral is also struggling

Something is clearly going wrong here

Our other aquarium, which is hooked up to the same sump, is all well with the corals… nothing has changed

Confusing times lol
 
I do a water change about 10% per week

If anything I notice the coral look worse after that (fish like it though)

Maybe it’s time to remove the large elegance that’s doing poorly …perhaps it’s sickening the other coral?

So many variables, so hard to really pin down what might be going on…

but I guess that’s reefing!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new