White Spots on Powder Brown Tang

SiD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everybody

Recently I have noticed these spots on my otherwise healthy Brown Tang. This is after I introduced my Doctor Wrasse in the tank. All other live stocks are healthy and feeding.

Should I be worried?

Thanks
SiD
20210214_125053.jpg
20210213_100155.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks too large to be ich, but it helps to have additional information about the fish and your tank. Can you take a look at the second sticky file at the top of this section, and try to answer some of the questions about your tank?

Thanks,

Jay

OP
OP
SiD

SiD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks too large to be ich, but it helps to have additional information about the fish and your tank. Can you take a look at the second sticky file at the top of this section, and try to answer some of the questions about your tank?

Thanks,

Jay
Second sticky file?? Sorry I am new to the forum.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second sticky file?? Sorry I am new to the forum.
Sorry - at the top of the fish disease forum is a sticky thread section with three items. The second one down is the information about how to supply additional information about fish problems. The same link is below my name here, but you may not be able to see thank link if you are accessing Reef2Reef on a phone.
Jay

OP
OP
SiD

SiD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - at the top of the fish disease forum is a sticky thread section with three items. The second one down is the information about how to supply additional information about fish problems. The same link is below my name here, but you may not be able to see thank link if you are accessing Reef2Reef on a phone.
Jay
Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Reef
Aquarium water volume : 320 Litre including Sump
Filtration type : Mechanical and Biological. BM Curve 5 skimmer, Santa Monica Drop .6, Sock Filters, Ceramic rings and Sponge Pads, Nano Block in Refugium
Lighting : 60 W Led , 2 T5s 18 W each
How long has the aquarium been established? : August 2020
Digital image of the aquarium under white light
Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Reef
Aquarium water volume : 320 Litre including Sump
Filtration type : Mechanical and Biological. BM Curve 5 skimmer, Santa Monica Drop .6, Sock Filters, Ceramic rings and Sponge Pads, Nano Block in Refugium
Lighting : 60 W Led , 2 T5s 18 W each
How long has the aquarium been established? : August 2020
Digital image of the aquarium under white light

Water Quality (be sure to indicate what measurement units you are using)
Temperature : 27 C Digital and Analog
pH: 8.2 API
Salinity / specific gravity : 1.026
Ammonia : 0 API
Nitrite : 0 API
Nitrate : 20 API
Phosphorus : 0.03 Salifert
Copper : NA
Other

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet? (see below) : No, but I have not been successful with shrimps, although Hermits and snails doing fine, never lost one till date.
Are any invertebrates affected : No
Respiration rate of affected fish (in gill beats per minutes, count for 15 seconds and multiply by 4)
Are the affected fish still feeding? : Normal
What remedies have you tried so far? : None
Digital image of the fish with the health issue, taken under white light

Water quality (be sure to indicate what measurement units you are using)
Temperature : 27 C
pH: 8.2
Salinity / specific gravity : 1.026
Ammonia : 0 API
Nitrite : 0 API
Nitrate : 20 API
Phosphorus : 0.03 Salifert
Copper : NA
Other

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet? (see below) : No, but I have not been successful with shrimps, although Hermits and snails doing fine, never lost one till date.
Are any invertebrates affected : No
Respiration rate of affected fish (in gill beats per minutes, count for 15 seconds and multiply by 4)
Are the affected fish still feeding? : Normal
What remedies have you tried so far? : None
Digital image of the fish with the health issue, taken under white light : given above
Short video of the fish (linked YouTube videos work well) 20210122_131906.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just watch those spots - if they stay in the same place and do not increase in numbers, they may just go away on their own. The fish does seem a bit thin, so ensure it is getting enough to eat.

The only treatment that you could try without moving the fish to a treatment tank would be prazipro, for flukes. The spots are unlikely to be flukes, but the way the cleaner wrasse is going over it, the fish could have them.

Jay

OP
OP
SiD

SiD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just watch those spots - if they stay in the same place and do not increase in numbers, they may just go away on their own. The fish does seem a bit thin, so ensure it is getting enough to eat.

The only treatment that you could try without moving the fish to a treatment tank would be prazipro, for flukes. The spots are unlikely to be flukes, but the way the cleaner wrasse is going over it, the fish could have them.

Jay
I feed twice a day with Hikari S or Spirulina Flakes. Should I increase .

It picks on rocks all day long even on spots when there are no visible algae, whereas it does not touch hair algaes.

Thanks in advance.
Sid

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you need to increase the amount of food and the frequency. The fact that it thin and is picking at mostly bare rocks tells me it isn't getting enough food. You do not want to grossly overfeed a tank, but if the fish are eating all of the food you are putting in, and there is no uneaten food, you need to feed more.

Jay

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 74 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 60 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back