White spots on Sailfin tang

Josiah_445

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed my Sailfin tang has some small white spots on its back fin, is it ich? Anyone know what it is? He also seems to be hiding more than usual.
5FDD12D5-E4CF-4D63-94DA-EA8D8D973DAE.jpeg
F52B9C0E-4ABE-48BD-A672-069278A31F96.jpeg
83F6D666-42FB-40B9-BFB6-3D2841124BA8.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just noticed my Sailfin tang has some small white spots on its back fin, is it ich? Anyone know what it is? He also seems to be hiding more than usual.
5FDD12D5-E4CF-4D63-94DA-EA8D8D973DAE.jpeg
F52B9C0E-4ABE-48BD-A672-069278A31F96.jpeg
83F6D666-42FB-40B9-BFB6-3D2841124BA8.jpeg
I see spots also on the body. Unfortunately this is ich parasite and fish will have to be moved to a separate quarantine tank for treatment with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

OP
OP
Josiah_445

Josiah_445

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see spots also on the body. Unfortunately this is ich parasite and fish will have to be moved to a separate quarantine tank for treatment with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
message is blank

OP
OP
Josiah_445

Josiah_445

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, thanks for the info. I don’t see any spots on the body that might just be my glass it’s a little dirty atm.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ugh, thanks for the info. I don’t see any spots on the body that might just be my glass it’s a little dirty atm.
Yes- now I see it on glass. . . lol
The spots would then be a viral issue known as Lymphocystis which is a condition and not disease. Often its associated with water quality issue as simple as elevated ammonia or nitrate and can be that of water from LFS and not yours. Assure to provide Good water quality monitored by a reliable test kit and feed nutritious food with fats such as LRS nano frenzy and mysis shrimp.

OP
OP
Josiah_445

Josiah_445

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots would then be a viral issue known as Lymphocystis which is a condition and not disease. Often its associated with water quality issue as simple as elevated ammonia or nitrate and can be that of water from LFS and not yours. Assure to provide Good water quality monitored by a reliable test kit and feed nutritious food with fats such as LRS nano frenzy and mysis shrimp.
Great, thanks for you help!

OP
OP
Josiah_445

Josiah_445

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots would then be a viral issue known as Lymphocystis which is a condition and not disease. Often it’s associated with water quality issue as simple as elevated ammonia or nitrate and can be that of water from LFS and not yours. Assure to provide Good water quality monitored by a reliable test kit and feed nutritious food with fats such as LRS nano frenzy and mysis shrimp
Was just reading up on Lymphocystis and it seems be a growth that protrudes off the fish, this is flat. Would you still say it was Lymphocystis?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo it’s ick as earlier stated by vetteguy . The spots on the glass are they on the outside? On the left it looks like salt drip but on the right it’s hard to tell if the spots are on the inside or outside .

OP
OP
Josiah_445

Josiah_445

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo it’s ick as earlier stated by vetteguy . The spots on the glass are they on the outside
The spots on its back fin are not, the spots on the body are water marks on my glass. He said it was ich and then said he now believes it’s Lymphocystis after notice the spots on its body are just on the glass.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Was just reading up on Lymphocystis and it seems be a growth that protrudes off the fish, this is flat. Would you still say it was Lymphocystis?
It is surface and protruded. Keep an eye on it. . . If the dots are same tomorrow, likely lympho

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^You'll want to keep a close eye on this. It could be ich. With that, you'll see the spots change location and change in numbers (with a generally increasing trend) You'll also start to see spots on other fish. If you see all that, then ich is confirmed. If the same spots are in the same location on the fish after three days, then it isn't ich.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that this is an old thread.. but was it ich? I have the same exact problem going on with my saflin tang.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

If you would like us to look at your fish's specific situation, please feel free to create a new post. Information about that is here:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back