White stuff

bobbym2289

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a clownfish two days ago and yesterday I noticed her side is turning darker. She isn’t struggling to swim or breath. I was curious if someone could help figure out what this is and how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

B86C7593-F3FC-4207-818B-F6544DF009B1.jpeg 876ACDC7-DE35-46E0-A9AC-DE68D2118B70.jpeg B6DEAA46-8253-47CA-9A3D-A26919807723.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That is a very serious lesion based on its size. Did it develop all at once, or did it grow larger with time? Is this fish still eating? Do you have a treatment tank to move the fish to?
Take a look at the link below in my signature line, it gives more information that is helpful for us to know about your tank.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Almost looks like that of Uronema and highly infected. Dont even know if a freshwater bath would be helpful. Antibiotics at this point.

OP
OP
B

bobbym2289

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That is a very serious lesion based on its size. Did it develop all at once, or did it grow larger with time? Is this fish still eating? Do you have a treatment tank to move the fish to?
Take a look at the link below in my signature line, it gives more information that is helpful for us to know about your tank.

Jay
Thank you for the response. I don’t see the link. Is there still a chance for my clownfish? What do you need to know?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response. I don’t see the link. Is there still a chance for my clownfish? What do you need to know?
You can also find the link n the sticky section at the top of the disease forum. For some reason, the link below doesn’t show up for some people.
As a start, take a look at the questions in my first post.....
Jay

OP
OP
B

bobbym2289

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It showed up in the span of a day and a half. She’s eating very little. I was in the process of setting up a quarantine tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Could it be Brooklynella
Dont rule Brook out which is most similar symptomatically to Oodinum and is also a parasite that primarily attacks the gills first. At the onset, fish may scrape up against objects, rapid respiration develops, and fish often gasp for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus. Very quickly the fish becomes lethargic, refuse to eat, and its colors will fade. The most noticeable difference that sets Brooklynella apart from Oodinium is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections to arise, such as redness and fin rot.
Im not sure a freshwater bath will help but you can begin with a 5 minute dip and then try skipping formalin and go right to antibiotic such as Maracyn 2 or even Kanamyacin.
My best guess on what fish has is very similar to Vibriosis which is a type of internal infection caused by a genus of gram-negative bacteria called Vibrio. if you dont have Kanamyacin, you can use melafix but this is temporary, not the required med.

OP
OP
B

bobbym2289

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost the fish last night down in the QT from what appeared to be Brook. I’m curious what to do with my only other fish and my display tank, the only other fish is in the QT.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back