White thing over regal angel fin

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a regal angel come from regular Liveaquaria today, it was in good condition but it has a white thing on its dorsal fin. It's roughly the size of a styrofoam kernal and it definitely seems to be attached over the fin (not on the flesh of the fin). I actually thought it might be just a small piece of styrofoam that he got packaged with but 12 hours later it is still there. Although there's not much flow in the QT he's on... Only an airstone. Any thoughts?

e25131ca93c9e852b04e5762288841de.jpg

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So lympho is gone. I'm just about to start the first dose of prazi with transfer two coming tomorrow night.

I find myself very nervous about ammonia in general, given the nature of TTM. I have a seachem ammonia badge on the tank but for whatever reason I'm really incompetent at reading coloremtric tests. I feel like I can ALWAYS convince myself it's yellow or green. Would it even be possible for this 3ish inch regal and a <1 inch royal gramma to produce enough waste in a 10g tank to push the badge to green (I realize that's a "well it depends" type of question, but I just want to get a feeling for it). I've fed them only twice since last transfer, small feedings and I think they ate it all, for what it's worth. I can't decide if I keep to small feedings if I'm ever really going to have to worry about ammonia during TTM. My current strategy is to feed real heavy about ~6 hours before a transfer (I want them to eat big, poop big then go lighter on food for 2 days etc.).

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So lympho is gone. I'm just about to start the first dose of prazi with transfer two coming tomorrow night.

I find myself very nervous about ammonia in general, given the nature of TTM. I have a seachem ammonia badge on the tank but for whatever reason I'm really incompetent at reading coloremtric tests. I feel like I can ALWAYS convince myself it's yellow or green. Would it even be possible for this 3ish inch regal and a <1 inch royal gramma to produce enough waste in a 10g tank to push the badge to green (I realize that's a "well it depends" type of question, but I just want to get a feeling for it). I've fed them only twice since last transfer, small feedings and I think they ate it all, for what it's worth. I can't decide if I keep to small feedings if I'm ever really going to have to worry about ammonia during TTM. My current strategy is to feed real heavy about ~6 hours before a transfer (I want them to eat big, poop big then go lighter on food for 2 days etc.).

Oops forgot to post my other question. Often to try and read the seachem test I hold a bright flashlight up behind it. Is that a reasonable solution? In this case it's almost always clearly yellow but I'm worried too much light biases the answer.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops forgot to post my other question. Often to try and read the seachem test I hold a bright flashlight up behind it. Is that a reasonable solution? In this case it's almost always clearly yellow but I'm worried too much light biases the answer.

I find shining a bright white light directly overhead works better than shining a light behind it.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find shining a bright white light directly overhead works better than shining a light behind it.
Ok, the directions on Prazi say to treat for ammonia before dosing but as far as I know prime during prazi is not recommended. Should I just avoid it? My first time through TTM and I don't have a feeling for what kind of load a 10g can take without biofiltration so I'm being pretty skittish about it.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, the directions on Prazi say to treat for ammonia before dosing but as far as I know prime during prazi is not recommended. Should I just avoid it? My first time through TTM and I don't have a feeling for what kind of load a 10g can take without biofiltration so I'm being pretty skittish about it.

I used to do TTM all the time and never had any ammonia issues arise within the 72 hr window. You can dose an ammonia reducer at any time if you like, but I wouldn't do it while Prazipro is in the water. ;)

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'm a little surprised as well but as far as I can tell the badge is light green. I'm going to post a picture in a second. I assume that also means you wouldn't dose prazi while prime is in the water (I'm not sure of the mechanisms of prime, before TTM came into my life I'd never used it).

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture when lit from above (1st pic) then when lit from front flashlight behind my camera (2nd pic).

above.jpg

behind2.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're safe, but I wouldn't dose Prazi so long as ammonia reducer is in the water.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RGB values of random comparably lit areas of the tag:

Lit from behind:
180, 190, 121 - safe
162, 188, 148 - indicator
132, 170, 155 - Alert

Lit from top:
175, 173, 106
146, 160, 120
126, 155, 143

Yellow is green + red. In the behind shot the red counts dropped 18 counts with 30 more to go to be square with the alert color. In the top lit it dropped 29 counts with 20 more to go. So I'm somewhere between 38-59% of the way to green. I guess it'll hold out for one more full day.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do a small water change before adding the Prazi if you are worried. Anytime my kits look a "hint" green-ish I usually change out 5 gallons for good measure.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a regal angel come from regular Liveaquaria today.Any thoughts?

e25131ca93c9e852b04e5762288841de.jpg

Looks like a juv.. Is he fat? Is he eating well? I was always curious about california Live Aquaria (quality marine)... Now that my latest Diver's Den fish gave my tank either velvet or brook, I'm no longer going to exclusively use divers den.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a juv.. Is he fat? Is he eating well? I was always curious about california Live Aquaria (quality marine)... Now that my latest Diver's Den fish gave my tank either velvet or brook, I'm no longer going to exclusively use divers den.

Yeah I was really curious what I was going to get. It was listed as a Maldives yellow bellow medium, it was like half off two weeks ago or so. I also ordered a royal gramma on the same sale.

I would say he's not particularly fat. He eats and has since the first feeding. I'm not feeding them a ton yet because of TTM and my above mentioned fear of crapping up the water. He's always comes out to chase down spirulina brine when I add it. He is the only fish I've ever received from quality marine that was still swimming in the bag. For maybe the first 24 hours he had that worrisome "zombie" look about him as well as the enormous lympho... but now he's taken to hiding and darting from pvc to pvc and quickly picking off floating food which I think is good. As far as the "quality" of the fish, I'm actually very happy with the angel. I tend to be pretty cheap and looking at the huge range in Regal prices and all the little species differences I feel like I could easily have paid double or more, so I'm really happy with this and I'm really excited about it (hopefully) getting to the DT.

The gramma, I was positive was dead, I didn't see it breath for the entire 20 minute temp acclimation, put him in the tank and he sprang to life, freaked out trying to jump out for a minute and then floated upside down to the bottom. Next morning... good as new, eating etc.

My only other order with them I received 5 dead anthias. When I saw the gramma I thought "ok, never again". But now I'm more optimistic.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back