OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did transfer two today. They did last night. They are both eating quite well, the regal even nibbled nori today (to be clear I only put it in this afternoon because of the transfer coming in ~6 hours. I just want an opinion about the Angels gills. They look very red to me, I was concerned about maybe ammonia poisoning or something. I'm also not sure if these pictures are good enough to give a complete idea but I just wanted to quickly post a picture and see what the pros thought.

IMG_20170326_232806.jpg

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more, less fish-centric more gill-centric.

IMG_20170326_232716.jpg

Edit: ok it's pretty blurry but it might be the best shot I have of the "redness".

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the redness was from ammonia burn, he'd be dead by now. So, I would be treating this as an infection, possibly an internal infection. If you haven't done so already, start soaking all his food with Kanaplex and also use Seachem Focus to bind the medication to the food. You may need to also dose the water if food soaking doesn't help.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'll start soaking food. Should I start it in the water already? He eats seemingly just fine though he's not ultra-aggressive about it, He's shy and doesn't want to be out when I'm around but comes out quickly when he thinks I've left the room. I have noticed from day 1 his swimming is a bit lazy... like he can go off axis without worrying about it much, but I'm honestly not sure if that's just the way angels get around in a smallish tank with a reflective glass bottom.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realized in the post about the redness the fact that they started on prazi the previous night go to lost. I assume that couldn't be the cause?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just food soak for now. Dosing it directly into the water might just further suppress his appetite.

I've never seen Prazipro cause redness on a fish.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Areseebee Your latest pic makes it appear as though the redness is getting worse. Is this an accurate observation on my part?

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually think it's just a better picture. I just fed kanaplex with focus. He's in a bit of zombie mode on that side of the tank... The Gramma took the only PVC she'd fit in so I just added a new one for him. I'm hoping he takes to it.

She ate a little of the food but mostly paced while I was there. This may also be because I forgot to turn the lights on this morning so he was still in sleep mode.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a quagmire. On one hand, it might be more beneficial to dose the water at this point, but that might cause the angel to stop eating entirely. And I know what a PITA it can be to get a Regal to start eating in QT in the first place. o_O

But on the other hand, just food soaking the antibiotics might not be "good enough" to knock this out. His skin might greatly benefit from absorbing the medication.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. He ate some of the kanaplex soaked food today but he really hasn't settled in yet from this transfer. I'm hopeful tonight I find him settled into his PVC T. I haven't been giving them selcon soaked food for dear of water quality issues, it's just spirulina enriched brine, I'm not sure if something else would be more nutritious.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wanted to ask details about soaking food, it's tricky to find a concise protocol. My plan:

I thaw the food in a very tiny amount of ro water, add 2 scoops of focus, 1 scoop kanaplex and wait 10 minutes. I then dump it all into a small net, wash with some ro water (maybe 1/4 solo cup of ro). The. I flip the net back over and wash the food back into the cup with a small amount of ro and feed that. Does that make sense?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wanted to ask details about soaking food, it's tricky to find a concise protocol. My plan:

I thaw the food in a very tiny amount of ro water, add 2 scoops of focus, 1 scoop kanaplex and wait 10 minutes. I then dump it all into a small net, wash with some ro water (maybe 1/4 solo cup of ro). The. I flip the net back over and wash the food back into the cup with a small amount of ro and feed that. Does that make sense?

I did mine with metro vs. kanaplex, so refer to the packaging about re-freezing in your case. But I thawed my food cubes (about 4, it was a tablespoon) strained most of the water out, then stirred in the appropriate metro/focus and re-froze it in a small container. When it's time to feed, I slice a little chunk off, thaw, strain, and feed. But, this way I don't have to measure medication every feeding.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I do it:

Add the following to a shot glass:
  • 1 tablespoon of frozen food or pellets
  • Sprinkle 1 scoop of Metroplex (or any metronidazole based med) over the food
  • Sprinkle 1 scoop of Seachem Focus (or another binder) over the food
  • Add 4-5 drops of saltwater so that everything is moist
Stir it all together until a paste-like consistency is achieved. Let everything sit for 30 minutes and then you are ready to feed. You can refrigerate or even freeze any leftovers for future use.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I washed the resulting mixture to get rid of any unbound kanaplex but I wasn't sure that was ok (though I suspected it was ok).

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's looking much worse, almost looks like there's something hanging off near his gills.

IMG_20170327_191645_1.jpg

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also he's much more frantic than I've ever seen, he's shaking his head sometimes.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's looking much worse, almost looks like there's something hanging off near his gills.

IMG_20170327_191645_1.jpg

antibiotics are always slow acting. The problem is that sometimes the infection moves faster than the antibiotics can do their job. Keep up the good work.... it may be a good idea to dose the water with the antibiotics at this point since it's getting worse. You already know the concerns with that.... suppressing his appetite which can kill him vs him dying of the infection. My thoughts are to save his life now and try to keep him eating, or get him eating again after the treatment is over.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
antibiotics are always slow acting. The problem is that sometimes the infection moves faster than the antibiotics can do their job. Keep up the good work.... it may be a good idea to dose the water with the antibiotics at this point since it's getting worse. You already know the concerns with that.... suppressing his appetite which can kill him vs him dying of the infection. My thoughts are to save his life now and try to keep him eating, or get him eating again after the treatment is over.
Ok just kanaplex? I also have metro

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back