White thing over regal angel fin

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Younger regals or giant regals seem to do better through QT, in my experience.

I have a 5"+ regal now. She's in a 40b all-you-can-eat-buffet QT, and isn't eating a thing. It's coming up on two weeks, treated with prazi but nothing else yet. I hope she figures it out soon, beautiful fish.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5"+ regal now. She's in a 40b all-you-can-eat-buffet QT, and isn't eating a thing. It's coming up on two weeks, treated with prazi but nothing else yet. I hope she figures it out soon, beautiful fish.

My first one I got 5 years ago ate from day 1. It was about 1" juv from diver's den. This one is a 2.5" juv from LA and pretty much eating brine shrimp only right now. I throw in other stuff like rod's and mysis and he's sniffing and tasting everything but spitting it back out.

Def sounds like young ones are easier to get going.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I might have already suggested this but ... Have you tried live blackworms, live brine, littleneck clam (from the grocery store), ROE, Nutramar ova?

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have already suggested this but ... Have you tried live blackworms, live brine, littleneck clam (from the grocery store), ROE, Nutramar ova?

For my potters that stop eating, I've tried all of these.. and also live tiggerpods, Artic Pods, Easy Reef Masstick but nothing is working. The only time he ever ate was brine shrimp.

I thought east reef masstick would do the trick since everyone on the forums raves about it.. But he just looks at it and swims away. That might get your regal, ngooder to eat though. I also just ordered New Life Spectrum Max for finicky eaters... It's a pellet but apparently they infuse it with some smelly stuff thats suppose to work wonders.. We'll see..

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've tried SO many things...yes to live clams, worms, and brine. Also bought a live ball sponge to try to tempt it. And a few sacrificial corals.

No ova, I can't find this local and haven't gotten around to ordering it. Tried lots of different frozen foods and several different flake and pellets. Red,green,purple algae on clips and shoved into rocks. Frozen angel formula pushed into crevices.

Even tried collard greens and kale.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried SO many things...

Even tried collard greens and kale.

You might as well give easy reef masstick if you haven't tried yet. I hear great things about and all my fish eat it but the potters.

Here's a review about how it works:

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, ok. Well, we grabbed a set of shad roe for $9 to try. The wholesaler said they do have roe that gets pitched with the guts, they may be able to put them aside for us.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been meaning to update this. The answer is bad, unfortunately. I let a couple days pass and he seemed fine but when I added him to the DT he basically swam into a hole in the rocks and never came out. 24 hours later he kind of blew by in the current mostly unable to swim and keep right, I got him back in the qt but it was too late. This one was really upsetting because I felt like it had been through all of the protocols to get rid of disease, I felt like I was relatively careful and got him through. He was eating, swimming, no signs of disease etc.

In the end my guess is that it's just a stress thing. I've heard a lot of people talking about fish having that 1000 yard stare in pet stores and that meaning they are not likely to survive. This fish ALWAYS had that and it worried me from the start, sometimes on tank changes he'd adopt a pipe and that made me feel good but usually he just kind of stared out of the tank. I guess I should have just let him chill in QT for another couple weeks in hopes of him adapting a more typical fish behavior pattern, but in my limited experience I've seen a lot of fish go from looking crappy in QT the entire time and then suddenly thriving once added to the DT. I thought, well he's eating, he's swimming fine, I was hoping rocks and caves and flow and stuff would knock him out of the aimless stare. The gramma is fine, at least.

Looks like my regal is in the same state as yours. I put him in DT with the wrasse on Friday. He has been in hiding since. I see him in the rocks breathing heavy. He won't come out. Not sure what's wrong. He was fine in QT. The wrasse is doing fine too.

It's a 180 and no other fish in there.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, all too familiar. Hope it works out.

Unfortunately, that juv didnt make it either. I pulled him out of the DT and he was just too weak at that point. He was badly infected, probably from rubbing and hiding in the rocks. Strange cause he was fine in the QT.

Anyway, I saw another sale at LiveAquaria for a "medium" sized regal that was suppose to be 2 3/4" to 3 1/4" for $179 normally $299. I got him on Friday, he still has the juvi's eye. And so far he's doing much better than the first one. He eats mysis and brine very well, not picky at all.. Biggest difference is that this one doesnt hide at all. He goes right up to me in QT glass, only goes in the PVC at night to sleep. So maybe I got lucky with one that's been at LA for a while and got over the captivity thing.. who knowz! crossing my fingers this one will make it once in DT.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, that juv didnt make it either. I pulled him out of the DT and he was just too weak at that point. He was badly infected, probably from rubbing and hiding in the rocks. Strange cause he was fine in the QT.

Anyway, I saw another sale at LiveAquaria for a "medium" sized regal that was suppose to be 2 3/4" to 3 1/4" for $179 normally $299. I got him on Friday, he still has the juvi's eye. And so far he's doing much better than the first one. He eats mysis and brine very well, not picky at all.. Biggest difference is that this one doesnt hide at all. He goes right up to me in QT glass, only goes in the PVC at night to sleep. So maybe I got lucky with one that's been at LA for a while and got over the captivity thing.. who knowz! crossing my fingers this one will make it once in DT.
Good luck, really hoping it works.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@125mph- FXFY! My big one is actually doing really well now in QT. Eating flake and clam vigorously, swimming all over, and keeping the tang in check. Ironic, since it seems like half of my other fish are suffering from one mystery ailment or another [emoji58]

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back