OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do it in a heartbeat if I knew how. I take it you don't go to the freight airport, just to your local ups hub? I would love to continue to order from LA, I really appreciate how generous they are and I like their customer service but man have I had a low success rate, although I feel that in this case the angel is on me.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on my second regal, and still having terrible luck. I ordered from NY Aquatics after I lost my first from PIA, and was told it was eating mysis. I can't get it to eat anything. I've tried live clams, mussels, black worms, and baby brine. Two different kinds of red, purple, and green algae. Collard greens and kale. Frozen mysis, spirulina brine, squid, marine cuisine, and two different angel formulas. Every flake and pellet food imaginable. I even bought a huge $25 sponge to try. Nothing. Going on 7 days with no food and no interest whatsoever.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh I hope it works out. I may try again at some point but going to wait a bit!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do it in a heartbeat if I knew how. I take it you don't go to the freight airport, just to your local ups hub? I would love to continue to order from LA, I really appreciate how generous they are and I like their customer service but man have I had a low success rate, although I feel that in this case the angel is on me.

You can register & signup for delivery alerts on both UPS & Fedex's website. After you get the first alert that your order is in transit, just select hold at the depot for pickup. Mine would usually arrive early the next day (7-8 am) and it will tell you exactly when it's available for pickup on their website. So, you can take care of it and still make it into work just a little late.

Before I was coming home after lunch, but sometimes wouldn't receive my shipment from the driver until 4-5pm. That's 9-10 hours of sloshing around in the back of a hot truck. :eek:

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's interesting. My order has never come after the 11am window. But the driver is always pretty brutal with the package. The first time I ran out to his truck to wait for him, he comes out with the box and I say "those are live fish so I just want to be gentle" and he goes "ok cool" and drops it at my feet to hand me the pen. The last time he was hauling it over his shoulder with the "this side up" stamp pointing towards his head. I'm not certain this is the problem but it can't be helping!

Also to this point I've only ordered in the cold (NE winter etc) not sure if that's better or worse.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's interesting. My order has never come after the 11am window. But the driver is always pretty brutal with the package. The first time I ran out to his truck to wait for him, he comes out with the box and I say "those are live fish so I just want to be gentle" and he goes "ok cool" and drops it at my feet to hand me the pen. The last time he was hauling it over his shoulder with the "this side up" stamp pointing towards his head. I'm not certain this is the problem but it can't be helping!

Also to this point I've only ordered in the cold (NE winter etc) not sure if that's better or worse.

My last order from DD, one of the bag's had a leak but still had enough water in the bag to sustain the fish.. Although the minute I cut the bag open, the potter's angel was going nutz ... he was trying to jump out of the bag.. and appeared to be gasping for air. Maybe ammonia spike.

Do you remember what the salinity your regal came in? Was it about 1.020?

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to remember. It was on the low end of the reported QM LA orders. I want to say 1.015.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to remember. It was on the low end of the reported QM LA orders. I want to say 1.015.

Are you going to pick up another regal?

I'm pretty impressed with mine. Started eating the first day, only a few pieces. He hides a lot but sometimes will be okay with my presence.

I called liveaquaria and asked about the salinity. They said 1.021... regal came in at 1.018....

Also picked up two wrasse from divers den. One was very lively in the bag while the other one I thought was a goner. Left the house and came back and all 3 appear to be doing fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a picture!

I think you ordered the same item from LA as I did. I was super happy with the fish and I wish I understood better what happened. I guess I just had to take more seriously that "blank stare" thing, maybe give him a really long stay in QT to see if he ever started to become an active swimmer. I thought it was just general unhappiness with a small (relatively) boring quarantine. I'm sure I'll try again, but I'm going to stock some more hardy critters in the mean time before trying again! I actually went out and got an ornate wrasse last weekend and he seems super healthy. He sleeps in a Chinese food container full of sand and seems pretty happy about it.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a picture!

I think you ordered the same item from LA as I did. I was super happy with the fish and I wish I understood better what happened. I guess I just had to take more seriously that "blank stare" thing, maybe give him a really long stay in QT to see if he ever started to become an active swimmer. I thought it was just general unhappiness with a small (relatively) boring quarantine. I'm sure I'll try again, but I'm going to stock some more hardy critters in the mean time before trying again! I actually went out and got an ornate wrasse last weekend and he seems super healthy. He sleeps in a Chinese food container full of sand and seems pretty happy about it.

I love my wrasses, I have 5 of them now. Awesome fish, active and they will eat pretty much anything - even my leopard [emoji12]

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse I picked up was an ornate and a melanurus, both initial phase. I thought they might not get along but so far they ignore each other in the QT.

The ornate looks really shiny. They are the same as a Christmas wrasse but different than a red-lined right?

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think there just happens to be two wrasses with the name "Christmas" so ornate is the more approximate name, looks a lot like melanarus with the greens and reds swapped.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think there just happens to be two wrasses with the name "Christmas" so ornate is the more approximate name, looks a lot like melanarus with the greens and reds swapped.

+1, with wrasses I look at scientific names because the "common" names are swapped around so often. Like the h. crysus. Yellow wrasse, yellow coris wrasse, canary wrasse, sunshine rainbow super wrasse...you get the idea. And even the scientific names are often mislabeled.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halichoeres ornatissimus does have a "shiny" look to it - that's a great description!

"Christmas" fits it well, as it carries a lot of real, bright, red - which not a lot of fish seem to do. (Even though "Christmas" is applied almost indiscriminately to several Halichoeres and even a Thalassoma!) It does get a bit bigger than some others, and can be a tad more aggressive, from what I'm given to understand.

~Bruce

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a picture!

Here he is. Looks so cute, just like yours. Doing transfer 2 of TTM tomorrow morning.

f3febf0ec77c7cfe9ed2f11a58c23529.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@125mph Looks like a healthy guy, good luck with him!

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome. Does he swim around? Mine was always really cryptic or just stared out of the tank like in that picture. I think that was a symptom of the problem.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW; Regal Angels can be a PITA to QT. They hide a lot, don't want to eat, etc. It really takes them a long while to get settled in. Which makes you wonder if a disease might be bothering them or are they just being cryptic.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is eating and moving around pretty well. He getting used to my presence and not hiding as much.

I've had terrible time acclimating potter angels tho. They hide and don't eat anything. The one I picked up 3 weeks ago took 5 days to start eating brine shrimp, but he stop eating 3 days ago too..

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back