White thing showed up this morning

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new live rock is not cycled, but checking back to the date you posted on the 20th. You might be in the middle of the new LR cycling. Only add 5-10lbs at a time if you are adding new rock. You are probably having an ammonia spike. Check that or run to your closest LFS and have that checked ASAP. Otherwise you will most likely lose the other fish. If that is the case. Keep up with water changes and keep the ammonia down to the best of your ability. 0 is the goal always for ammonia.

mkutsch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, what he said.
Awesome Blenny! What a score. And orange knuckle hermits? Pretty nice.
Post your water conditions.

OP
OP
Captmcfly

Captmcfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew when i bought the rock i would have a total cycle to go through. I expected some death. I have a total of 20 bucks invested in the livestock in my tank right now. If they go they go. Not that i want them to die but i was told not to do a water change until my tank completes its cycle. Right now ammonia is coming up and is at 1.5 ph is 8.2 and nitrite and nitrates are still zero as of last night. Might have come up over night ill check when i get home from work

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always catch the fish. Bring it to where you got them. Have them hold on to them for you. Let the tank finish out the cycle which could be less than a week. Then do your water change after the nitrates are within reason and ammonia back to zero. Fish are saved and you do not have to buy new ones or just say my tank is cycling, I don't want them to die, resell them, and maybe give me a discount on another fish that I really wanted. At this point you got nothing to lose. Plus with those fish being stressed. Now you are talking about ich and other nasties that can become present in your tank. Ich is always present. Brew the right storm. They feed off the living fish. Fall off. Start their cycle of life. Bombing your tank now with 100s of new ich parasites and all that time is wasted that you did and then have to wait 76 days to starve out those parasites with no fish in your tank.

mkutsch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Not always. Without a host they die. Ergo, due to his mindset that "if they go they go," when and if they go, leaving no more fish, the ich goes with them. Cryptocarayon isn't so cryptic :D.

mkutsch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But, I digress. You should set up a QT in this hobby, for this situation. And, if you plan on coral, much more attention should be payed to water chemistry.

OP
OP
Captmcfly

Captmcfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much slower would you suggest I go?? I started a tank with some bad info and am in the process of fixing my poorly setup tank. I started out with 5 damsels and a couple crabs in a tank with a gravel bottom. Now I'm waiting on my new setup to cycle.. absolutely no point in adding 5 or 10 lbs of rock a week and dragging out the process when it will bring about the same results to add 45 lbs in one trip. So I loose 20 bucks worth of fish or they live and all is well. We will see. But I can not justify 2hrs in the car to go spend 30 bucks on rock every week. If they live i will wait a month or two to add new livestock. If they die I flush em.

OP
OP
Captmcfly

Captmcfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I rechecked my levels ammonia 1.5ppm nitrites 0 nitrate 0

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not saying to add 5-10 a week now. What is done is done. I am saying that is how it should be done so you do not get a massive cycle started to the new live rock, because new rock will always cycle.
Your cycle maybe done now. That is why you are reading a 1.5ppm, 0, & 0. I have seen it twice where a cycle started & finished in less than a 24 hour period. How your nitrates are 0 is the only thing that throws me off.
If you want to look at fish as just money. I can not it good conscious help you anymore. Good luck..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.9%
Back