White threads coming off snail

CollinReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever seen this before? It looks a little unnerving but the snail seems to be acting totally normal.
IMG_1766.jpeg
IMG_1767.jpeg

Right around the base of the snail you can see all of these white/clear extensions. I have never seen this before.
IMG_1768.jpeg
I also have a snail with some sort of polyp growing on its shell. It looks kinda cool but I want to make sure it isn’t a parasite of some kind.

Any advice is appreciated!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Has anyone ever seen this before? It looks a little unnerving but the snail seems to be acting totally normal.
IMG_1766.jpeg
IMG_1767.jpeg

Right around the base of the snail you can see all of these white/clear extensions. I have never seen this before.
IMG_1768.jpeg
I also have a snail with some sort of polyp growing on its shell. It looks kinda cool but I want to make sure it isn’t a parasite of some kind.

Any advice is appreciated!
Hydroid. You can snail out and place in container of tank water and scrape it off with edge of a paring knife

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m struggling a bit to make them out clearly, but it looks like the strings are probably hydroids.
This looks like it’s either a barnacle or a feather duster worm- either way, it should be harmless.
If it fans out then rakes in like fingers closing into a fist, then it's a barnacle. If it just sends out the little crown of feathery appendages and basically sits with them fanned out in a circle, it's a feather duster worm. Either way, it's a harmless filter feeder.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%

Back