White worm ID

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a Dorvilleidae
@ISpeakForTheSeas YOU TOLD ME IT WAS A BRISTLEWORM! What do they do? Are they still venomous and are they harmful?
Dorvilleid worms are a kind of polychaete (polychaete=bristleworm) - they’re typically harmless/beneficial.
Generally speaking, Dorvilleids are harmless/beneficial. Eunicids, on the other hand, can be either harmless/beneficial, mildly risky (think opportunistic predators eating things like snails, small crustaceans, fish larvae, etc. when starved or when the prey is weak enough), or outright predatory. Some are predators while others are literally herbivores (fun fact, even some of the predators - such as the infamous bobbit worm - will still take algae when given the chance). With that in mind, many (possibly most) Eunicids are also harmless/beneficial, so even if it's a Eunicid, it may not be a bad thing.
But nickm's has a white "collar" and I know there's a specific type of worm with that pattern but can't recall the name.
I’m struggling to see the worm clearly on my phone, but the white collars are found on a few different Eunicid worms (I know a few Eunice spp. and Leodice spp. for sure). These ones tend to be more predatory.

nickm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dorvilleid worms are a kind of polychaete (polychaete=bristleworm) - they’re typically harmless/beneficial.

I’m struggling to see the worm clearly on my phone, but the white collars are found on a few different Eunicid worms (I know a few Eunice spp. and Leodice spp. for sure). These ones tend to be more predatory.
I have a lot of them come out at night. I’ll buy a microscope and get a picture of it.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By that logic, on this forum we should be calling bobbit worms bristleworms... I appreciate that they are all polychaetes and therefore "bristle" worms, but for the sake of clarity, I wouldn't identify a dorvilleid (or a eunicid) as a bristleworm, and would instead reserve that common name for the worms people usually call bristle/fire worms.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*I am a huge fan of @ISpeakForTheSeas and highly value his knowledge about marine critters. I mean no disrespect in my last post, simply trying to help clarify for others who are following along :)

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By that logic, on this forum we should be calling bobbit worms bristleworms... I appreciate that they are all polychaetes and therefore "bristle" worms, but for the sake of clarity, I wouldn't identify a dorvilleid (or a eunicid) as a bristleworm, and would instead reserve that common name for the worms people usually call bristle/fire worms.
Yeah, I try to ID down to a more specific level for that reason. Assuming that @Reefkeepers Archive is referring to my response in the thread below, I couldn’t see the worm well enough to ID it beyond the Eunicid/Dorvilleid bristleworm description:
(My response from the thread above:)
Any chance you could get a clear pic of it's head and/or some closer up, full length pics of the worm under white lighting?

As is, I can tell you that it is a bristleworm (Polychaete) of some variety - the bristles are hard to see in the video, but you can see them if you look close enough (in fact, a few are visible at the very end of the video, so if you watch it in the browser here, it'll freeze on a frame where you can see some of the bristles; it's white bristles on white rock though) - and that it has cephalic tentacles (a fancy way of saying it has tentacles on it's head/face). Given the tentacles, my first thought would be a worm from the taxonomic Order Eunicida, from either the Eunicidae or Dorvilleidae Family.

Generally speaking, Dorvilleids are harmless/beneficial. Eunicids, on the other hand, can be either harmless/beneficial, mildly risky (think opportunistic predators eating things like snails, small crustaceans, fish larvae, etc. when starved or when the prey is weak enough), or outright predatory. Some are predators while others are literally herbivores (fun fact, even some of the predators - such as the infamous bobbit worm - will still take algae when given the chance). With that in mind, many (possibly most) Eunicids are also harmless/beneficial, so even if it's a Eunicid, it may not be a bad thing.

TLDR; it's probably harmless, but closer up pics (particularly of the head and tail) under white light may help with an ID.

For anyone who's curious, the article below is a fantastic resource on Polychaetes (the supplementary material that details family by family diet, habitat, and more is especially good IMO, though it is 340 pages long - I haven't gotten through all of it yet):

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I try to ID down to a more specific level for that reason. Assuming that @Reefkeepers Archive is referring to my response in the thread below, I couldn’t see the worm well enough to ID it beyond the Eunicid/Dorvilleid bristleworm description:
(My response from the thread above:)
Sorry for the bad photo, there wasn't enough of them at that point to find one on the glass, though I do find them going in and out of the holes in the lobos skeleton, which kind of freaks me out....

Also like @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal said, I meant no disrespect in my last post.

Though are they still venomous and will pyramid butterflies eat them?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the bad photo, there wasn't enough of them at that point to find one on the glass, though I do find them going in and out of the holes in the lobos skeleton, which kind of freaks me out....

Also like @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal said, I meant no disrespect in my last post.

Though are they still venomous and will pyramid butterflies eat them?
Totally fine - no disrespect taken, and I know these things can really tough to photograph well.

Dorvilleids are harmless and (to my knowledge) non-venomous; so they really shouldn’t cause any issues that a regular bristleworm doesn’t. I don’t know for sure what would eat them - I’d imagine that most things that eat other polychaetes would consider eating them too though.

nickm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got a couple pictures with my phone. This cheap microscope did t work to well. Two different bristleworms.

nickm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_2312.jpeg
    IMG_2312.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2311.jpeg
    IMG_2311.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 68

nickm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that first one is a Dorvilleid worm. Does that second one have a noticeable head on one end, and - if so - can you get a clear picture of it?
I had smashed it already. Sorry couldn't get the pic for you. I'll catch another one and get better picture of it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

• My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back