Whitespotted grouper

twlawrenceko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Head & Lateral Line Erosion "HLLE":

Symptoms - HLLE literally looks as though the skin is rotting or peeling off the fish. Affected areas usually include the face and lateral line, and may be white in color.

Treatment options - This is more of a condition than an actual disease. Since no one can agree on the exact cause, all you can do is address all of the following theories regarding HLLE:

1) Stray voltage - Use a titanium ground probe & test your tank for stray voltage.
2) Running carbon - Don’t use it, or use only premium grade carbon.
3) Nutritional deficiency - Feed high quality nutritional foods. Some have had success reversing the effects of HLLE by soaking food in “fish vitamins” and also feeding nori.
Hi Humblefish,

I have a whitespotted grouper, it hasn't eat any food for three months, but before three months, it has swallow a live fish. Before I treat it with a Seachem Vitality, it has serious rot fin. But now I think it's better.

I'm not sure if this counted as HLLE, it has been like this for a long time.

The top of the head is pretty obvious.

6b7386b8a80da0cf2a6b9adea69eb287.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Humblefish,

I have a whitespotted grouper, it hasn't eat any food for three months, but before three months, it has swallow a live fish. Before I treat it with a Seachem Vitality, it has serious rot fin. But now I think it's better.

I'm not sure if this counted as HLLE, it has been like this for a long time.

The top of the head is pretty obvious.

6b7386b8a80da0cf2a6b9adea69eb287.jpg

That does look like serious fin rot and feeding him vitamins is a good idea - Vitality is a vitamin supplement. Has he been like this for 3 full months? This isn't HLLE, and I believe some antibiotics may be in order here - in a QT.

OP
OP
twlawrenceko

twlawrenceko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look like serious fin rot and feeding him vitamins is a good idea - Vitality is a vitamin supplement. Has he been like this for 3 full months? This isn't HLLE, and I believe some antibiotics may be in order here - in a QT.

This is better than 1 month ago. But it's not eating any food …

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is better than 1 month ago. But it's not eating any food …

He might not eat until he's healed up. Try live foods or soaking the food in a bit of garlic to get a feeding response.

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks a little beat up. Anyone picking on it? any other groupers in the tank? I would move it into it's own tank and heal it up.

OP
OP
twlawrenceko

twlawrenceko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish I think mine grouper is not as well as I thought. It swallowed the live fish meat with less than 5 sec 3 months ago, but now it doesn't want to eat live fish meat, I tried it yesterday, and it was looking at it. At first it was a little bit exciting, but after 5 minutes, it doesn't care anymore. I can see the stomach is not full anymore, and it has a little bit dent. What can I do right now?

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live fish meat, as in live fish? or as in it was live?

Try a ghost shrimp. Something small and alive that might peak his interest. You can also guy load the shrimp with food and vitamins that will get into the grouper.

OP
OP
twlawrenceko

twlawrenceko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live fish meat, as in live fish? or as in it was live?

Try a ghost shrimp. Something small and alive that might peak his interest. You can also guy load the shrimp with food and vitamins that will get into the grouper.
It was live fish meat. I have this kind shrimp now. I think it may be too small...
1407743945_610.jpg

OP
OP
twlawrenceko

twlawrenceko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think I can try to buy this shrimp first,
cef4925e9caf25e9752dbe40ad1848de.jpg

So if I add too much vitality, will it be a disadvantage for the shrimp?
Although I'm still feeding this to grouper, but I am still curious about this. And should I feed the shrimp some food first?

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed the shrimp first. Pellots, flake, just soak their food in vitamins. When he eats the shrimp he will get the vitamins from them.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selcon, vitamin C. These would be good starts to soak the food in. Could dose vit c in the water as well

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back