Whitest Reef Safe Sand Available

shneerf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of upgrading my 55 gallon reef to a 180 gallon. I've had the pink Fiji sand and everyone says it's great, but I really wanted the whitest sand you can get. Aragonite and Fiji pink just look like a light tan color. I want my tank bottom to be unnaturally white, I want my eyes to hurt when the lights are on. So far in my process I've found Reeflowers Pearl White sand to look like the sand I imagined. You can see how white it is in this video, it doesn't have that tan sand look to it.

So my question is, is this sand really that white in person? It's made of 99% calcium carbonate and that is the type of white I'm looking for. Does anyone have experience with this sand or does anyone have any recommendations on similar types? This sand is pretty expensive in the US from every vendor I've found that carries it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could ask them for a sample?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s very white but looks like salt kinda and not so much sand. It will dull a bit in time and it is kind of sharp. So I wouldn’t use with sand wrasses. Rinse the hell out of it.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bahama oolite petco should have it sitting on a self if you want to see in person
20210117_220521.jpg
20210117_220451.jpg
20210117_220428.jpg

OP
OP
S

shneerf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s very white but looks like salt kinda and not so much sand. It will dull a bit in time and it is kind of sharp. So I wouldn’t use with sand wrasses. Rinse the hell out of it.
Yeah I'm looking for that kind of white. I don't plan on getting any sand wrasses but I think it's a good trade off.

The Oolite looks good but I think I've seen it in person and it's not pure white. I'll go to Petco today or tomorrow to see it in person again, it's a good excuse to go see some snakes and lizards too haha.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm looking for that kind of white. I don't plan on getting any sand wrasses but I think it's a good trade off.

The Oolite looks good but I think I've seen it in person and it's not pure white. I'll go to Petco today or tomorrow to see it in person again, it's a good excuse to go see some snakes and lizards too haha.
What did you decide

OP
OP
S

shneerf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you decide
I'm still in the process of building my tank stand and tank. I'm hoping the pearl white 25kg will come back in stock by then but it's doubtful. I'm really not looking to pay over $2 a pound for sand especially since most is wasted on shipping but it seems like it's my only option. I always wanted to get the whitest sand possible so if I need to pay $200+ for sand... so be it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back