Who’s your favorite vendor for frogspawn, Octospawn, and hammers?

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tank is ready to start adding corals, my observation tank for new arrivals will be ready this weekend. Where do you like to buy octospawn, frogspawn, and hammer corals? I prefer aquacultured. This tank will be primarily the above listed species

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is ready to start adding corals, my observation tank for new arrivals will be ready this weekend. Where do you like to buy octospawn, frogspawn, and hammer corals? I prefer aquacultured. This tank will be primarily the above listed species
My preference is from local hobbyists... these corals can easily be damaged during shipping.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seattlecorals has some good unique ones. Ordered from them once and no complaints.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SBB Corals . Great frogs, hammers and torches. Have to wait for live sales but well worth the wait.
Except for the one in front these are SBB
IMG_9757.jpeg

Hammers from SBB and the 2 frogs in back
IMG_9760.jpeg

Frogs. Half of these are from SBB
IMG_9659.jpeg

OP
OP
ThaBeast

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My preference is from local hobbyists... these corals can easily be damaged during shipping.
When I took a break in 2019 the one thing you were guaranteed to get when purchasing from hobbyists near me was pests! Don’t know what’s its like today though

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@SBB Corals . Great frogs, hammers and torches. Have to wait for live sales but well worth the wait.
Except for the one in front these are SBB
IMG_9757.jpeg

Hammers from SBB and the 2 frogs in back
IMG_9760.jpeg

Frogs. Half of these are from SBB
IMG_9659.jpeg
I’ll second @SBB Corals . I think to @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal ’s point though, depending where you are, if there are other local hobbyists nearby that could be both more economical and easier on the coral to reduce shipping stress. Particularly if you new to adding corals to the tank, you’ll want to reduce any stress for the coral as possible. That being said, local options might be best.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Oh and if money ain’t a thing, then where ever has the specimen color you are looking for. For me, I always bought the cheapest version of a coral first to see if I had the husbandry to keep it alive before investing in a more expensive color variation.

Hustling Dave Chappelle GIF

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I took a break in 2019 the one thing you were guaranteed to get when purchasing from hobbyists near me was pests! Don’t know what’s its like today though
I’ve seen some really good prices from hobbyists here but as far as pests dunno. Never had a pest from SBB

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll second @SBB Corals . I think to @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal ’s point though, depending where you are, if there are other local hobbyists nearby that could be both more economical and easier on the coral to reduce shipping stress. Particularly if you new to adding corals to the tank, you’ll want to reduce any stress for the coral as possible. That being said, local options might be best.
Nothing really near me except one of our own Corals Admittedly buddies @robanister

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe we had coral dips in 2019...

OP
OP
ThaBeast

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe we had coral dips in 2019...
True, but dips aren’t 100% effective. Personal preference to support those that try to reef responsibly…the local scene was unbelievably bad here. So bad I haven’t looked around much locally for this new build. I’ll add that I think I had the only ich free tank in this area then too.

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
True, but dips aren’t 100% effective. Personal preference to support those that try to reef responsibly…the local scene was unbelievably bad here. So bad I haven’t looked around much locally for this new build. I’ll add that I think I had the only ich free tank in this area then too.
There is going to be a frag swap at Jackalope in Nashville TN, on October, 14th. Lots of good vendors. If you are close, check it out.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You bring up a good point. Most hobbyists are selling from their display tanks where as vendors could be either fish free or doing their own pseudo quarantine base solely on how they grow their corals.

For example, Tidal Gardens grows most of their corals and imports super infrequently, so they have a controlled environment without adding things that could carry ich. That being said, they charge a premium but their stuff looks good. I personally haven’t bought from them, so no testimonial, but I love Than’s YouTube channel and the info he provides.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and if money ain’t a thing, then where ever has the specimen color you are looking for. For me, I always bought the cheapest version of a coral first to see if I had the husbandry to keep it alive before investing in a more expensive color variation.

Hustling Dave Chappelle GIF
I did this as well, I double checked if I could keep Hammers before investing in a beautiful 5 headed Orange Hammer. I now have 2 colonies of Hammer - one Bicolour with 15+ heads and one Orange with 6-7 heads.

If you have the option for LFSs near you then I’d go for that route to reduce stress further.
All of these are from two LFSs but the same person.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
ThaBeast

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You bring up a good point. Most hobbyists are selling from their display tanks where as vendors could be either fish free or doing their own pseudo quarantine base solely on how they grow their corals.

For example, Tidal Gardens grows most of their corals and imports super infrequently, so they have a controlled environment without adding things that could carry ich. That being said, they charge a premium but their stuff looks good. I personally haven’t bought from them, so no testimonial, but I love Than’s YouTube channel and the info he provides.
TidalGardens is on my list too! I’ve never purchased from them either but his YouTube channel definitely caught my attention

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tidal Gardens is a 50 minute drive for me. I’ve bought multiple times, just not frogspawn, torches or hammers. Everything is packaged well and open and happy when placed in my tank. I would never hesitate buying from them. Corals.com is about half the distance but no pickup available. I’ve received healthy and happy corals from them. They have a huge inventory of torches, frogspawn and hammers. All of mine are from my lfs and purchases or swaps with fellow reefers.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back