Who all is keeping g.viridis

Richlard

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 1, 2021
Messages
15
Reaction score
3
Location
Chartucky
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who all out there is keeping gonadactylus viridis and what are their temperaments and activity levels?
 
i kept one for about a year and a half in a 20 gallon nano sealed off. To be honest i got rid of it because it literally does nothing. It dug a hole crawled in the hole and that is where it stayed permanently. They are not interactive, they are not busy bodies, there isnt anything to watch. if you are lucky you might see the antenna's pop out of the hole it makes then it retracts and the tank looks empty 99% of the time. I would rather watch paint dry. i dont recommend.
 
Who all out there is keeping gonadactylus viridis and what are their temperaments and activity levels?
Activity and temperament do vary between species but individually they are all unique. My first mantis was a moderately active G. chiragra. Most feel they don’t offer much but I enjoyed him.
I had a Smithii which was very reclusive. G. viridis are probably not as interactive as one of the Odontodacrylids, however. Best way to encourage active foraging is by filling the tank with small hermits, snails, and whatever other live foods you can find.

Also make sure you feed small portions. I see a lot of mantis owners feed pieces of frozen food which are nearly as large as the mantis itself. Meals like that will absolutely discourage activity. Since most of us like to feed regularly, I recommend feeding a portion no larger than a fingernail in width.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new