Richlard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who all out there is keeping gonadactylus viridis and what are their temperaments and activity levels?

socalfishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i kept one for about a year and a half in a 20 gallon nano sealed off. To be honest i got rid of it because it literally does nothing. It dug a hole crawled in the hole and that is where it stayed permanently. They are not interactive, they are not busy bodies, there isnt anything to watch. if you are lucky you might see the antenna's pop out of the hole it makes then it retracts and the tank looks empty 99% of the time. I would rather watch paint dry. i dont recommend.

nmotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who all out there is keeping gonadactylus viridis and what are their temperaments and activity levels?
Activity and temperament do vary between species but individually they are all unique. My first mantis was a moderately active G. chiragra. Most feel they don’t offer much but I enjoyed him.
I had a Smithii which was very reclusive. G. viridis are probably not as interactive as one of the Odontodacrylids, however. Best way to encourage active foraging is by filling the tank with small hermits, snails, and whatever other live foods you can find.

Also make sure you feed small portions. I see a lot of mantis owners feed pieces of frozen food which are nearly as large as the mantis itself. Meals like that will absolutely discourage activity. Since most of us like to feed regularly, I recommend feeding a portion no larger than a fingernail in width.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back