Who came up with 76-78 temps?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s a good analogy. Corals can live in 5 dkh if dropped gradually or as high 14 I’ve seen mentioned. pH as low 7.8 or high as 8.5 and higher on both for those seeking expedited growth yet not all agree faster is better. 7/8.3 respectively likely best for those just trying to be closer to nature
I thought a bit about this topic in general. So, many scientists (correct me if me I'm incorrect) - believe that the temperature rise in the ocean which is up over the last century - has affected sea life. In fact, the EPA suggests that "From 1901 through 2020, temperature rose at an average rate of 0.14°F per decade " - but we have people here (and I don't have any reason not to believe them) saying that the temperature in their tanks is ranging between the low 70's to the low 80's. It's widely suggested that the Great Barrier Reef coral loss is caused by temperature rise. (I don't want to get in a climate debate) - just wanted to make the point that I agree with you that corals, etc have not lost their ability over generations to live in harsh conditions. However, it's only 'some' organisms that have maintained the ability. Our problem is that we are mixing organisms that may be from warmer water with those that may be from cooler water. It's well known that certain types of jawfish do not do as well in warm water as compared to cool, for example. IMHO - the main reason try to keep temperatures a little lower (perhaps not 72 - but lets say 75-76 - is that bacterial growth slows, infection risk is lower and as you've said oxygen levels are higher.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Being we have south near shore currents and then there’s the north Gulf Stream. Are temps different as you dive deeper? Many don’t realize there are different currents beneath the surface and any who have deep water fished would soon realize that.
The difference between the ocean and our tanks seems to be that in a tank - the fish and corals are stuck with whatever temperature we set (or allow it to be). In the ocean - if a fish wants to move from a cooler to a warmer area, thats probably fairly easy to do? Additionally, it seems like people are arguing both sides of the issue - 1. Quick changes are bad (like a heater getting stuck) - but 2. currents and temperatures can change rapidly based on various conditions. My guess is that each type of fish, coral, etc - in general sits in a place where the temperature is the best for that organism - and though they can survive a temporary change they do best in more stable situations?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is that each type of fish, coral, etc - in general sits in a place where the temperature is the best for that organism - and though they can survive a temporary change they do best in more stable situations?
Yeah, each organism has its own ideal temperature range that may vary from another species' - similarly, they'll have a range they can tolerate even if it's not preferred.

Major long-term disruptions would be pretty likely to be deadly, whereas smaller changes or short-term changes would not. For any change to be deadly, though, it has to push the organism out of its tolerated range.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s not what is being discussed.
Well - the one poster who implied that his/her tank did fine with no temperature control between the 70's and 80's - is sort of similar (though the 65 and 95 were clear exaggerations). If someone has a tank that is successful with that range - I would guess that the organisms that have survived have adapted - and my other guess is that not all of the corals, etc that we keep would tolerate this range on a regular basis.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought a bit about this topic in general. So, many scientists (correct me if me I'm incorrect) - believe that the temperature rise in the ocean which is up over the last century - has affected sea life. In fact, the EPA suggests that "From 1901 through 2020, temperature rose at an average rate of 0.14°F per decade " - but we have people here (and I don't have any reason not to believe them) saying that the temperature in their tanks is ranging between the low 70's to the low 80's. It's widely suggested that the Great Barrier Reef coral loss is caused by temperature rise. (I don't want to get in a climate debate) - just wanted to make the point that I agree with you that corals, etc have not lost their ability over generations to live in harsh conditions. However, it's only 'some' organisms that have maintained the ability. Our problem is that we are mixing organisms that may be from warmer water with those that may be from cooler water. It's well known that certain types of jawfish do not do as well in warm water as compared to cool, for example. IMHO - the main reason try to keep temperatures a little lower (perhaps not 72 - but lets say 75-76 - is that bacterial growth slows, infection risk is lower and as you've said oxygen levels are higher.
Curious how co2 levels change at lower temps. How ocean sequestration works beyond my knowledge base and have often wondered if it gets better as temps rise or worse.

Rising ocean temps likely extrapolated to per-industrial revolution and perhaps that better defines what these organisms adapted to through thousands of years vs the sudden rise since we evolved. What exactly were reef temps say 500 years ago? Seen a documentary on how reefs migrated as ocean currents were diverted by titanic changes and volcano eruptions which leads one to believe that the offsprings from today might be carried off to new territories better suited for existence that was molded long before we started boxing them up in miniature replications. :thinking-face:

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well - the one poster who implied that his/her tank did fine with no temperature control between the 70's and 80's - is sort of similar (though the 65 and 95 were clear exaggerations). If someone has a tank that is successful with that range - I would guess that the organisms that have survived have adapted - and my other guess is that not all of the corals, etc that we keep would tolerate this range on a regular basis.
That was my point. No one suggesting such extremes although I'd think 65 more tolerable short term than 95. Plus outside of power failures I don't see 65 likely being a daily diurnal change at home and if one's power cuts off with external temps at 95 such as summer in Texas then they likely have bigger concerns then saving frags. Best they get somewhere cool and fast.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve never paid any credence to that 78F thing
..,my tanks run at room temperature; whatever that is
If one has a large tank - water temp swings are not so influenced by external temps (I think)

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Fahrenheit scale (/ˈfærənˌhaɪt, ˈfɑːr-/) is a temperature scale based on one proposed in 1724 by the European physicist Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit (1686–1736).

According to a German story, Fahrenheit actually chose the lowest air temperature measured in his hometown Danzig (Gdańsk, Poland) in winter 1708–09 as 0 °F, and only later had the need to be able to make this value reproducible using brine.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out with this mindset. Now I promote lower temperatures using evaporative cooling. Higher temperatures favor bacteria and reduce oxygen content of water.

When I operated Aquaculture Ranch, 150G Rubbermaid tubs were buried in ground for geothermal heating & cooling. With 10KG of mariculture in the winter, heating to 76 was cost prohibitive. I set heaters at 65 degrees falling. I saw no detrimental effects with temperatures in the mid to lower 60s.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out with this mindset. Now I promote lower temperatures using evaporative cooling. Higher temperatures favor bacteria and reduce oxygen content of water.

When I operated Aquaculture Ranch, 150G Rubbermaid tubs were buried in ground for geothermal heating & cooling. With 10KG of mariculture in the winter, heating to 76 was cost prohibitive. I set heaters at 65 degrees falling. I saw no detrimental effects with temperatures in the mid to lower 60s.
This included corals?

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my line of thinking, the tank may run higher than room based on equipment heat, but the changes are slow and acclimating. My house stays roughly 72 deg, F year round, this may be suitable temps for a thriving tank. On a side note this is the last thread heater manufacturers want to see

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to unplug my heaters in the summer in Houston, but every time the first cold-front came in during the fall and my FOWLR tank temperature dipped, I would experience an ich break-out. I since believe that feeding them a better diet than just dry pellets would have likely improved their immunity and largely eliminated these outbreaks

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This included corals?
While I was focused on inoculating Texas “holy rock” with diver collected live rock there were some soft corals on the live rock. My two main focuses was micro inverts and ornamental seaweeds:

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my line of thinking, the tank may run higher than room based on equipment heat, but the changes are slow and acclimating. My house stays roughly 72 deg, F year round, this may be suitable temps for a thriving tank. On a side note this is the last thread heater manufacturers want to see
Heaters likely the number one source of malfunction that quickly wipe most tanks out from FW to reef.

Back