Who Done It?

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at a loss and who appreciate some opinions/advice. I have a Biocube 32 with mostly LPS, mushrooms and zoas. Livestock include a CUC made up mostly of snails, a conch and 2-3 hermits, a bonded pair of small Davinci clownfish, a pair of fire shrimp, a McCosker's wrasse, a firefish (RIP) and a Wheeler's goby with a Tiger pistol shrimp. About a month ago that perfectly healthy firefish simply vanished. Of course I checked all the usual places (back chambers, carpet, etc. to no avail. My aquascape has lots of nooks and crannies for fish to hide in but I can see thru swimways/channels with a flashlight in most spaces. I finally concluded (rightly or wrongly) that the poor guy got buried alive in one of the pistol shrimp's many excavations that change on a daily basis. Now, for the past two days, the wrasse is missing as well. He is (was) fat and sassy and got along well with all the tankmates. Could he have been buried while sleeping in his mucous cocoon? I'm at a loss. Everyone else is happy and healthy. Any enlightenment will be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Between my wife and I, we have gone through 4 firefish. Every one of them vanished without a trace. Those and Bangai Cardinals have disappeared from my tanks

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don’t call them pistol shrimps for nothing. That is how they kill their prey. An it doesn’t take long in a tank for a fish to disappear.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My magenta dottyback got himself stuck in one of the holes in the rock once. I actually had to break the rock apart with a chisel to get him out! He is still alive and hopefully a little wiser for the experience.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back